Reading A Text File From A Package

gamecreator

I have a text file in a zip package I'm trying to read.  The zip loads successfully and the contents show the txt file is there.  However, when I tried to load it with FileSystem::OpenFile("text.txt"), the function fails.  But if I put the text file into the folder by itself, the function succeeds (loading it directly, not from the zip file).  Does this just mean that FileSystem does not work with Package?  I'd love to have zipped text files which provide data to my game (like NPC conversations).

I could try to use Package::ExtractFile to do this the long way but I'd really rather not extract files just so I can access them and have them be publicly available, defeating the purpose of password protecting them.

In researching a solution for this, I saw that this came up 3 years ago, without a solution.

Code, if it helps:

Package *package=NULL;
	package=Leadwerks::Package::Load("text.zip","");

if(package==NULL) printf("Package load failed\n");
	else
	{
		printf("Package loaded\n");
		printf("Number of files: %d\n",package->CountFiles());
		cout << package->GetFileName(0) << endl;
		cout << package->GetFileName(1) << endl;
	}

Stream *stream = FileSystem::OpenFile("text.txt");
	if(stream==NULL) printf("open failed\n");
	else System::Print(stream->ReadLine());

• Upvote 1

Out of curiosity, I tried to publish the project as Standalone, added the txt extension to include and unchecked "Only include used files."  I removed the zip loading code, only looking to read from a txt file inside data.zip, using the last three lines of the above code.  The load failed.

Tried with a mat file and that failed as well.  So it seems FileSystem doesn't work at all with Package or even the Leadwerks data.zip file, which is too bad.

• Upvote 1