Blender to 3ds max

PcWizKid

I was thinking about getting 3dsmax is it worth it

Yes and no.

Yes, because it has an enormous range of features and there are heaps of plugins for it. It's quite a learning curve in some areas. But because 'the professionals' have used it for many years there are plenty of tutorials out there and You-Tube has a ton of videos displaying techniques. It also ships with lots of tutorials.

No, because it costs so much and is generally out of the reach of Indie developers. But if that is not a problem.. then I suggest downloading the latest '2010 3dsMax Trial' and give it a go for a month. There are no limitations and you can get a feel for it.

Note. The .fbx exporter / fbx2gmf combo works well for the LE.

AMD Athlon x2 7750 2.7ghz, 6gb ddr2 ram, Galaxy9800GT 1gig ddr2 video card, Windows 7,64.

It is definately not worth it unless you are part of a completely inflexible professional studio production pipeline. Which rarely happens these days anyhow from what I hear. Imo Blender is to 3dsMAX as Leadwerks is to CryEngine2. One is called professional sure but to be honest they are not all that different when you get down to what they are capable of doing. Except blender has a built in game engine and Max does not.

Blender is not a poor man's max anymore.

But these are just my opinions which are completely frivolous at the end of the day to anyone except myself.

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

• 2 weeks later...

If you are used to Blender and you are doing fine with it, I don't see the point for changing to 3ds max. 3ds Max was the first model program that I by accident found, I heard from blender a year later, and never really bothered to change, although it is free. the commercial license is really expensive but the student licenses are doable.

When it comes to the requirements of Le 3ds max represents overkill. You will never need many of its functions.

But its worth getting at a students price.At full price no thanks.Try ac3d,that works well with Le.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

using blender myself and i must say that it works quite well with Le its a bit tricky the first time you export to get the materials and animation speed right but all you need to do is to go into blenders animation settings and set the fps to 30 instead of the default 25 and assign a image with the material name in the uv/image editor to the mesh and its all good :)

even 2.5 works now with its fbx exporter tho you need to export to the same harddrive as your .blend file.

now as for the modeling+rigging tools inside of 3dsmax vs blender i have used max from v1.0 until around a year ago or so and i really don't want to go back i work much faster in blender than in max and theres really no features i miss from max other than the shell modifier unless i use 2.5 where they have added something similar :D