Low frame rate with low CPU/GPU utilization

thehankinator

I've got vertical sync turned off (context:Sync(false)) so I was expected to see either my CPU or GPU (or both) pegged at 100% but that's not what is happening. Neither seem to be particularly busy. Anyone have an idea what's going on? I've attached CSV(rename to CSV, forum wont allow them for some reason) files from GPU-Z and HWiNFO64.

SIHEh0F.png

mUktOBO.png

lvcJCXK.png

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

hod.txt

• Upvote 1

Two shadows are being updated. Are they point or spot lights?

This is release mode, right?

The 2 red lights are spot lights set to static. The 3 white lights are point lights set to static, dynamic and buffered. The characters are set to no shadow and all geometry is set to static shadows.

Yes release mode.

I can send you the project later tonight if that's what's needed.

Correction, in that scene I found a door that was still set to dynamic. After setting it to static the framerate is up to about 100fps but still CPU and/or GPU utilization isn't close to 100%. I turned the poll rate on GPU-Z to 100ms to get more granularity. According to GPU-Z I'm still averaging about 35% GPU load. HWiNFO is saying the busiest cores are rarely going above 40%.

Am I wrong that with vsync off one or both of the CPU/GPU should be spending the majority of time at or near 100%?

FtlL7F8.png

OXaJxxd.png

2OwMDLF.png

GPU-Z Sensor Log-2.txt

hod-2.txt

The CPU will not be 100% because Leadwerks only uses multiple cores to a certain extent, only in some situations. In Leadwerks 5 we may make more heavy use of multicore CPUs but it will require a major architecture change and an API change to Vulkan. Even then, I am not sure if you would see any significant FPS improvement in this situation.

Two shadows being rendered can be significant because a point light update requires six separate passes of the scene. Two point lights would mean parts of the scene were being rendered 12 extra times.

I can't speak to the GPU utilization because I don't know about this situation.

The game is probably bottlenecked on the CPU side by the driver, but I can't say for sure.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

The CPU will not be 100% because Leadwerks only uses multiple cores to a certain extent, only in some situations. In Leadwerks 5 we may make more heavy use of multicore CPUs but it will require a major architecture change and an API change to Vulkan. Even then, I am not sure if you would see any significant FPS improvement in this situation.

Two shadows being rendered can be significant because a point light update requires six separate passes of the scene. Two point lights would mean parts of the scene were being rendered 12 extra times.

I can't speak to the GPU utilization because I don't know about this situation.

The game is probably bottlenecked on the CPU side by the driver, but I can't say for sure.

I'm not expecting more than 1 core to be utilized but none of them spend significant time above 40%. I am pretty sure that the utilization reading includes any work drivers are doing. So I'm thinking there is plenty of spare time on the CPU side.