Maxwell vs. Leadwerks

Michael Betke

I want to do it the way Crytek did with Crysis. Basically they made a some game ready assets, brought them to a CG company and rendered a video out of it. Afterwards they tried to get their engine look like the video.

So I own a Maxwell Render license and want to do the same. Maxwell is a unbiased renderer which means its simulating light. This makes it the perfect candidate to test my stuff.

I rendered a wodden pallet with a simple gras texture plane to test basic a setup. Of course Maxwell is superiour if it comes to special shader and material setup. This is why I only use a basic material.

It looks very good so far but I can't get this vivid look like maxwell get. Seems I need to raise my ambient a bit. I already tweaked a lot.

Most stuff which hurts the scene in my opinion are the SSDO "splots" everywhere.

Maybe I have to place a slight pointlight (without shadows) into the palett to simulate color bleeding.

What do you guys think what could be done better on the lighting? Art and technical wise?

post-6-1268259296539_thumb.jpg

post-6-12682593184116_thumb.jpg

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

Yes it looks nice of course but I want it as realtistic as possible to get a lighting template with the skybox I used. :blink:

I already had to modifiy contrast to 1,2 and such settings. I would save a lot of tweaking in the future. Just copying the parts of .sbx to another and the lighting would be ready. :unsure:

I had to desaturate it to 0.7 / 0.8 to match the ground. The Intensity of the model had also turned down to 0.85 because of a bright shining on the wood.

I have some ideas which I will try out at home. For example a color palette as a model so I can match the whole colors and not just the wood stuff.

I gave myself another hour for this scene and matched the lighting to a point where I am confident with. One thing was raising the SSDO samples from 4 to 8 for both values.

Then I added other models, ground textures and decals to the mini-scene. I was surprised it looks so well lit.

I could run it further with matching some color-sample textures but I think this looks realistic enought to stop this little lighting adventure here. :blink:

This template will be used as the clear-sky setting for forthcoming projects. While testing a overcast HDR map in Maxwell I also start to like the idea of doing such a lighting sample too.

post-6-1268341159826_thumb.jpg

I hope Josh use your tweaks as his default values for engine

Well it also depends on the assets you use. If the textures are brighter or you use another sky/color palette then the lighting have to be tweaked. So this would not be so usefull.:blink: