Using my own Stuff in 3d World Creator

Dicon

Great! Thanks for that. I figured out where to put them and so far I have only played around with the textures. I also found out why I couldn't see the shadows on the top left perspective screen when I rendered. It doesn't show up there. I clicked on render in the side window by mistake instead of the perspective window and there were the shadows. Great.

As you are here, ( ahem ) any idea how to fit or change the textures on the meshes. It tiles them all over the surface. It's a big learning curve for me.

Thanks

Dicon

any idea how to fit or change the textures on the meshes

Use select sub-object mode (press the X key) and select a face, and the controls for the texture for the selected face appear in the far right hand side window.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Use select sub-object mode (press the X key) and select a face, and the controls for the texture for the selected face appear in the far right hand side window.

Many thanks. I don't know how people get to find out these "tweaks"as the documentation is... um.. is there any?

Well, poor anyway. Thanks all!

Dicon

I don't know how people get to find out these "tweaks"

You could also try the 3DWS Forum over at TGC.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

I looked at TGC which appears to be a games company and not much help with 3D World and 3DWS is a Dutch Company.

Do you have a link please. I am finding the whole interface very "clunky" especialy when trying to fit the textures onto the meshes. "Rotate" is a nightmare. I will have to load each faces texture in individualy. I only got it because it maps shadows onto surfaces.

Not happy about it. I expected more. I think I have wasted my money.

Dicon

I looked at TGC which appears to be a games company and not much help with 3D World and 3DWS is a Dutch Company.

Ermm the link was in the post. and 3DWS is a dutch company? ..

Did you not try the demo first?

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Sorry guys, but there was no link that I could see. I am new to this war.

I really don't know who Josh is as I have only started using 3d World Creator.

Have YOU tried googling 3DWS and TGC? ( as written )

I think lateraly, normal is not an option!

I know now that you meant 3D World Studio and The Game Creators.

It's like conflicting answers about everything I try. One source on Google says that B3d has nothing to do with Blitz3D, and then in tutorials in another Google section, they are part of a demo program, and in MY Blitz3D it's not recognized and in Dark basic, about half of the demos don't work.

WHAAA!

Off to bed.

Dicon

You could also try the (3DWS Forum) over at TGC.

The part in brackets was the link....

I really don't know who Josh is as I have only started using 3d World Creator.

ok, Josh is the guy that wrote 3D World studio ...

Have YOU tried googling 3DWS and TGC? ( as written )

Yes, it was top of the list.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

There is a B3D format and a b3d format. They are two different formats.

3D World Studio, DOES export Blitz3D format, which is b3d. I am sorry you can't get it to work in DarkPro, but thats why the suggestion was to go to the forums of the company the developed DarkPro. TGC...

AMD Phenom II x6 1100T - 16GB RAM - ATI 5870 HD - OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD

76561197984667096.png

Just some friendly advice Dicon. It might help if you tell us what you are trying to do with 3DWS and what you intend to use it's output with.

From what I can gather from your posts so far:

You are having problems mapping textures (UV mapping). 3DWS is designed primarily as an easy CSG modeller and level designer and as such is set up to auto UV map textures to objects. Although there are options to alter the UV mapping it is not an application that pretends to have professional and sophistocated UV mapping capability, if this is what you need try designing your gemometry in 3DWS and exporting it to have the textures UV mapped in a more suitable application like Ultimate Unwrap 3D. You can still bring them back in afterwards as models for placement in levels and subsequent light mapping.

Sounds like you might be trying to load levels from 3DWS in Dark Basic. If thats the case then export them from 3DWS in the DBO format (that's the native Dark Basic format). This format supports the most features of 3DWS and works well in either Dark Basic or DarkGDK.

However, if you want my opinion having worked with both in the past ... save yourself a lot of bother and use another engine such as Leadwerks Engine or Unity. If you think you're having problems with 3DWS these are nothing compared to what awaits you in Dark Basic further down the line!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Just some friendly advice Dicon. It might help if you tell us what you are trying to do with 3DWS and what you intend to use it's output with.

From what I can gather from your posts so far:

You are having problems mapping textures (UV mapping). 3DWS is designed primarily as an easy CSG modeller and level designer and as such is set up to auto UV map textures to objects. Although there are options to alter the UV mapping it is not an application that pretends to have professional and sophistocated UV mapping capability, if this is what you need try designing your gemometry in 3DWS and exporting it to have the textures UV mapped in a more suitable application like Ultimate Unwrap 3D. You can still bring them back in afterwards as models for placement in levels and subsequent light mapping.

Sounds like you might be trying to load levels from 3DWS in Dark Basic. If thats the case then export them from 3DWS in the DBO format (that's the native Dark Basic format). This format supports the most features of 3DWS and works well in either Dark Basic or DarkGDK.

However, if you want my opinion having worked with both in the past ... save yourself a lot of bother and use another engine such as Leadwerks Engine or Unity. If you think you're having problems with 3DWS these are nothing compared to what awaits you in Dark Basic further down the line!

Thanks for the advice. Sorry if I sounded so grumpy, it had been a bad day. A bill for £252.30 for a quarter of an hours work connecting up an earth wire. Builders car died so no work today and blah, blah, and other things. I was tired.

[Excuses over ]

I used to work for Level9 and do freelance for other companies here in the U.K but now am trying to get a folio of 3D work done so's I can work at home

I like using Blitz Basic as I am NOT a very good programmer and I got 3D World Studio because it did light mapping and ( I hoped) ease of use seting up scenarios for games. I am getting used to Blender, which is a great bit of kit, and way better than3D World Studio, but has more buttons than a Jumbo Jet.

So I gues you could say, I am thrashing about trying to find the package that suits me. I have one image left over from my past trials, with the 3D Studio, but that package belonged to the company I worked for. And I can't afford the few thousand pounds needed to get it.

The image is at www.jackdaw-crafts.co.uk

Dat's it.

Dicon.

I took your advice Pixel Perfect and downloaded the free Leadwerk Engine Demo. The demo game was impressive, so I went to "Sandbox". The program informed me that my thirty day expiry was up!

Didn't really impress me, and doesn't inspire confidence in the product, especialy when I went to order it from Leadwerks( just to see the price and conditions) to be told that orders were suspended.

Hmm. Will wait.

I can do very well in building in Blender, so, is there a not too expensive lightmapper that a non geek( artist) could use to light map. The Blender light mapper is somewhat Byzantine in it's configeration.

The tutorials are very good but not it seems for Lightmapping.

Many thanks for the prompt replies and advice.

Dicon

"order were suspended" i think that because the system is going throught a change

plus josh is at the show so it would be a few day before he back.

so he may have locked to stop people complaining they not got there key or software.

yes demo expire is never fun but that a bug so josh need to know so he can fix.

as you should be able to play with it for a while

when you do get you will have access to the rest of the forums and you get a lot more support

yes to start with you get angry or fed up but a lot of people will tell you its worth it att he end

anyway have fun

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit

Hi again Dicon, yeah thanks for the feedback that certainly explains things a bit more. To be honest if you're used to more sophistocated 3D modelling tools then 3DWS is probably not for you (as a modelling app that is) I'd probably stick with Blender; although there is no reason if you intend doing some game level design for not sticking with 3DWS for that as it really is a nice level design tool once you get used to it. Most of us end up playing to the strengths of many tools to get the overall job done.

In terms of recommending a light mapping tool... Giles has always had a good reputation although I've never used it personally. It's now freeware and available here: Giles Lightmapper so you might give that a try if you're not happy with 3DWS.

With regard to the Leadwerks demo I'm not sure whats going off there but I wouldn't let that put you off as it's a fantastic engine and the Editor that comes with it is a nice tool. Your timing is unfortunate, as Carl indicated, as the owner of Leadwerks is currently at GDC but give it a few days and email support requesting a fixed version of the demo and I'm sure something will be sorted out.

Good luck!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Hi again Dicon, yeah thanks for the feedback that certainly explains things a bit more. To be honest if you're used to more sophistocated 3D modelling tools then 3DWS is probably not for you (as a modelling app that is) I'd probably stick with Blender; although there is no reason if you intend doing some game level design for not sticking with 3DWS for that as it really is a nice level design tool once you get used to it. Most of us end up playing to the strengths of many tools to get the overall job done.

In terms of recommending a light mapping tool... Giles has always had a good reputation although I've never used it personally. It's now freeware and available here: Giles Lightmapper so you might give that a try if you're not happy with 3DWS.

With regard to the Leadwerks demo I'm not sure whats going off there but I wouldn't let that put you off as it's a fantastic engine and the Editor that comes with it is a nice tool. Your timing is unfortunate, as Carl indicated, as the owner of Leadwerks is currently at GDC but give it a few days and email support requesting a fixed version of the demo and I'm sure something will be sorted out.

Good luck!

Thanks for that info, it might have been a little better if there was a message that said "Gone Fishing, back in a few days." sort of thing. Yes, I will stick with it. Will look at Giles now. My poor old drive is filling up. It looks like a Spring clean is in order, moving things onto cds / dvds.

Thanks all, will await the return of Josh as I do want to see the "Sandox" of which I have heard of on the web.

Dicon

I did try to get Gile but they are no longer allowing downloads of the free utility. I think they are perhaps, not with us any more. As in defunct.

There might be some floating around in the retro programs sites. Will look tomorrow. I did download a lightmapper ( free) from

http://www.awingsoft.com

but even with instructions, there were buttons that didn't do what they were supposed to. i.e click on the create button to create a light. What you get is a something completely different.It asks to load in a *.tri.

I gave up on that one, a pity because the screen shots looked good, and if the program worked as it was suposed to do, it would have solved a lot of problems.

Hi Ho... off to bed.

Dicon