No more AMD proprietary drivers

ocean

What will happen with Leadwerks now that the proprietary AMD drivers are no longer supported in the upcoming LTS release of Ubuntu?

Ubuntu 14.04 / 64bit. Dell XPS430, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, 4Gb Ram, Radeon HD 6670, Leadwerks Pro edition (Steam).

Okay. Thanks. I didn't know this before installing the 16.04 beta, so I can't run Leadwerks now with the open-source driver. But I've ahad n insane increase in performance in games like The Talos Principle, The Long Dark and Firewatch with that driver. Guess, I'll just have to wait.

Ubuntu 14.04 / 64bit. Dell XPS430, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, 4Gb Ram, Radeon HD 6670, Leadwerks Pro edition (Steam).

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. Thanks. I didn't know this before installing the 16.04 beta, so I can't run Leadwerks now with the open-source driver. But I've ahad n insane increase in performance in games like The Talos Principle, The Long Dark and Firewatch with that driver. Guess, I'll just have to wait.

No worries. They didn’t drop support, they are working on new driver version for Linux systems, because catalyst never worked. New driver will be open source and, supported by AMD and community. I think it was to much for them to support buggy catalyst, so they decided to rewrite whole driver. First release will be out in the end of this summer i think... They just was not in time for 16.04 release date. Just stay on 15.10/14.04 until release of new driver. If you google, you will find more information on this.

• Upvote 2

No worries. They didn’t drop support, they are working on new driver version for Linux systems, because catalyst never worked. New driver will be open source and, supported by AMD and community. I think it was to much for them to support buggy catalyst, so they decided to rewrite whole driver. First release will be out in the end of this summer i think... They just was not in time for 16.04 release date. Just stay on 15.10/14.04 until release of new driver. If you google, you will find more information on this.

Thanks for the additional info. Just like to commend AMD for their efforts. Seems like they're taking the platform seriously.

• 2 months later...

Thanks. I know about that. However, this driver does not support my card. I've bought today nvidia geforce. I just can't recommend AMD cards if you are Linux users. At least I do not recommend cards that are not supported by the new AMDGPU. However, AMDGPU does look promising.

• Upvote 1