EntityColor on mesh

Rick

After reading http://forum.leadwerks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=235&hilit=entitycolor+transparent they said EntityColor doesn't change the color or alpha of a mesh, but from what I can see it does change the color, but not the alpha. Was it changed to work for the color since then? If so, is there any chance it can work on for the alpha in the future?

Am I forced to use a mat file and separate world for this? If so, am I able modify it the transparency level via code? Also if I have to push my character mesh in another world doesn't that screw things like picking up?

I suppose a shader is another solution huh? It would be very cool if someone could write up a small tutorial on how shaders work. Or maybe point me in the direction of a good tutorial on how LE shaders work. I'm not sure if there is anything specific to LE with these shaders or if they are just general OpenGL shaders and any OpenGL shader tutorial would work.

Well, I guess I'm curious as to why EntityColor() does affect a mesh in color, but the transparency value seems to be ignored, which is the part I was looking for. To get around this I just used materials for solid colors and separate materials with semi-transparent textures. It's not as clean because I would need to double the textures as semi-transparent and I can't fade in/out transparency, but I can make it work.

It's amazing at all the compromises and "hacks" one has to use to get a game working.