Change textures at runtime

Chiblue

Take a look at SetMaterialTexture (http://www.leadwerks.com/wiki/index.php?title=Materials#SetMaterialTexture)

This will change the texture for all instances of that model though. There's no way to change it for just one instance of the same model if it's animated. If it's a static model then you can duplicate the mesh, paint it and hide the original.

Windows 7 x64 - Q6700 @ 2.66GHz - 4GB RAM - 8800 GTX

ZBrush - Blender

This will change the texture for all instances of that model though. There's no way to change it for just one instance of the same model if it's animated. If it's a static model then you can duplicate the mesh, paint it and hide the original.

That is exactly what I want to do, I need to change the texture for that instance of the mesh... so this should work out thanks..

If it's not Tactical realism then you are just playing..

If you download the LETheora library I made (http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=89) there's a utility function for doing it to static meshes in the nio_util.lua file.

Here's the code for it:

function makeUniqueMesh(ent, meshname)
local orig_mesh = ent:FindChild(meshname)
local new_mesh = CreateMesh(ent)

for surface_index=1, orig_mesh:CountSurfaces() do
	local orig_surface = ent:FindChild(meshname):GetSurface(surface_index)
	local new_surface = CreateSurface(new_mesh)

for i=1, orig_surface:CountVertices() do
		new_surface:AddVertex(orig_surface:GetVertexPosition(i-1), orig_surface:GetVertexNormal(i-1), orig_surface:GetVertexTexCoords(i-1,0))
	end

for i=1, orig_surface:CountTriangles() do
		new_surface:AddTriangle(orig_surface:TriangleVertex(i-1, 0), orig_surface:TriangleVertex(i-1, 1), orig_surface:TriangleVertex(i-1, 2))
	end

PaintSurface(new_surface, GetSurfaceMaterial(orig_surface))
end

new_mesh:SetPosition(orig_mesh:GetPosition(1),1)
new_mesh:SetRotation(orig_mesh:GetRotation(1),1)
HideEntity(orig_mesh)
UpdateMesh(new_mesh)

return new_mesh

end

You can use PaintEntity on the mesh it returns to change the texture. Again, you can only use it on non-bone animated meshes as we don't have access to the bone information to replicate it.

You could also use a special shader and a texture atlas that does a lookup based on the alpha channel. Take a look at this thread for the code:

http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?/topic/607-non-instancing-copy-command/page__hl__atlas__st__20

Windows 7 x64 - Q6700 @ 2.66GHz - 4GB RAM - 8800 GTX

ZBrush - Blender