Textures on terrain are blurry

Hububalli

Hi,

First I would just like to say hi! and I love the software. It has been great for me to finally make some game ideas I have had in my head for years a reality. It is very easy to use and I have been really pleased with the results so far. Just wanted to add that in there first as I didn't want my first post here to be totally negative! wink.png

I have made some 1024 textures and imported them into my project. I have a terrain setup and applied these textures. The problem is they look very blurry. In photoshop they are nice a clear and sharp but in leadwerks they are blurry and dull.

post-13957-0-45684900-1421363513_thumb.jpg

I setup a test to see if it was just my project file but I get the same results. I did discover that they are not always blurry. You can see from this image that the textures applied to the box in the bottom right is as it should be, nice and sharp. Then the same texture is applied to the terrain and it looks pretty rubbish.

I did read a couple of other topics where people had similar problems. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Cheers,

It is very easy to use and I have been really pleased with the results so far. Just wanted to add that in there first as I didn't want my first post here to be totally negative! wink.png

If this is based on that other thread, please just ignore it. Posting constructive criticism and possible bugs are always welcome! :D

Anyway, back to the thread. YouGroove is right in that the first place I would look is the mipmapping and texture compression settings. In your project, you should be able to see the .tex files (like one for your texture above). Double-click on that texture and you should see compression settings and a mip-mapping checkbox. Mip-mapping to be an issue so you should disable it, but it's hard to tell with that screenshot. Change the compression to uncompressed and see if this changes the results.

If neither work, could you post the map in question?

Just wanted to add that in there first as I didn't want my first post here to be totally negative! wink.png

Be careful, there are some fanboys here that think everyone is a troll.

I hope someone find a solution :)

In the past I did some tests in Unity 3D with 1024 textures and worked like a charm.

Try in other engines to help see where lies the problem.

Be careful, there are some fanboys here that think everyone is a troll.

Drop it Ameshi, it's just how you make posts how people respond to you.

In the past I did some tests in Unity 3D with 1024 textures and worked like a charm.

Try in other engines to help see where lies the problem.

It's LE3 forum, i think he needs a solution for LE3 no ?

I also use Unreal 4 and i have better textures look than Unity tongue.png

Serioulsy , you don't understand most of the people using LE3 are not here to talk about other engines or to make comparisons ?

Many of us know the pros and cons on many 3D engines we use; if we post in LE3 forums that's only about LE3 engine and for serious game projects , and we keep other engine and projects discussion for other forums.

Make a game wink.png

• Upvote 1

Stop toying and make games

Thanks for all the quick replies, I had already turned off compression which didn't make any difference. I disabled mip-mapping and that did make an improvement. I also tried using a 2048 texture on the terrain but that didn't make any difference at all.

This screenshot shows the better results of disabling mip-mapping.

post-13957-0-04343400-1421407555_thumb.jpg

Here are the relevant files Nick.ace or anyone else that wants a look.

Textures: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3p5vq5uvkury4dt/Stonefloor1.zip?dl=0

map: https://www.dropbox.com/s/heiyq02knisrm2d/start.map?dl=0

Cheers,

I think i found a problem , it's an old one unsure.png

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/7590-terrain-texture-shader/page__hl__terrain

LE3 terrain multitexture is not like other engines, in fact you have 2 texturing phases :

- your texture applied on terrain

- Your same texture is scaled Up than it is blended with previous texturing

terrain.jpg

I asked long time ago to remove from the package it as it looks lot more strange and bad than anything else laugh.png

Perhaps your problem is something else ?

Stop toying and make games

Terrain textures are re-used for making them not so repeatable, I think this is by design, however I also I think it should be an option so you can choose.

You can turn it off by editing clipmap.shader

Find :

#define TERRAIN_LOW_FREQUENCY_BLEND 8.0

Change to

#define TERRAIN_LOW_FREQUENCY_BLEND 0

• Upvote 1

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB