Multiple Worlds

SparkyNZ

Hi. Is Leadwerks capable of creating a game with multiple worlds? I'm talking about multiple planetary bodies (planets, moons etc) which orbit each other and allow a player to land on any of these bodies.

I would like to create a (free) retro game similar to Mercenary/Damocles from way back in the 90's. Nowadays most FPS games seem to consist of a small world/level. I've been checking out Unreal Engine 4 but it has the same limitations - you can stream levels but they are all flat-plane 2D tiled levels so to speak.

Surely there must be an engine out there which is capable of creating real worlds similar to what was done in Damocles?

It is possible but multiple worls will have consequences for the physics engine (if you are going to use phyics). When you create game, you create a 'world' which is similar to an empty void. What your create inside it is up to you though. The engine does not have build in planet orbiting systems, planet based wheather systems or partial level streaming. So it is technically possible, but you will have to build it yourself.

Have a look at this video:

It is possible but multiple worls will have consequences for the physics engine (if you are going to use phyics). When you create game, you create a 'world' which is similar to an empty void. What your create inside it is up to you though. The engine does not have build in planet orbiting systems, planet based wheather systems or partial level streaming. So it is technically possible, but you will have to build it yourself.

Have a look at this video:

Wouldn't it be possible to jury rig the orbit physics so to speak? Place an invisible body at the center and have another invisible arm with no collison, then set a lot of points using the platform script to get it in a 360?

Its not real planet physic though. Just a really simple script to animate something like this.

I don't know the game. But you could always have the game load a map when you land on a planet. Still many AAA titles do it this way.