Droid planet

YouGroove

Sketching the new player model in 3D coat (minimum equipement to face dangerous droids)

player_Armor.jpg

3D coat voxels is far better than Zbrush polygons, as you can really manipulate and dig volumes as you want, you won't have any polygons problems whatever you do with voxels.

Also 3D Coat live Clay allow you to sculpt in high detail as it is similar to Zbrush surface scupting, but you can go further and cut or add volume in surface mode, 3D Coat will add the necessary polygons when you'll switch back to Voxels mode.

Also it has many incredibly usefull tools to scumpt hard surface like curve, cut tools, hide and separate, liveClay flatten etc ...

I can only recommend 3D Coat a lot for sculpting models and retopo/paint, but also for quick and easy sketching.

• Upvote 2

Stop toying and make games

Why saying that ? it's just practice.

The difficult part is to start and find good ideas :

Otherwise once the main volumes are blocked, it's just sculpting up or down volume like you sculpt terrain and extruding curves using splines tool.

I found some interesting concept , perhaps i'll make some cyber dog assisting the player in outdoor areas and that you could ride to run lot faster. I have already many AI ideas for open outdoors ( not only stupid AI follwoing the player), i think they will be fun to play.

vanquish8510.jpg

Another color test

color3.jpg

IK for rig and weapon prototype attached to character in Blender, ready for animation

weapon.jpg

• Upvote 3

I'm trying different gameplay approaches as i won't go for big outdoor TPS game, LE3 is not GTA game engine.

I have three main gameplay styles

- 2.5D and exploration : DeadLight, Strider or Shadow Complex style game

- TPS with linear levels : ennemies appearing in a scripted way , you finish a level and can move to the next one. Each level consists of progressing throught each areas.

- TPS action/exploration game: a Metroid like with a big world divided in many sections, with teleporters and many areas to unlock progressively as you gain new tech thinsg throught story.

Another insight on AI :

I got the simple idea of some AI managers per zones in a level.

It's a simple pivot with script managing ennemies like where they can go to hide or how many can get close to the player and how many stay attacking at distance.

The main things it manages are :

- Spawn/Hide/show ennemies when the zone is visible and player near

- Manage the number of ennemies that can go close fight to the player , the others will stay distant

- What covers are free and the ones that are not available because an ennemy is assigned and going to it already.

- Raycast from different positions around a cover or building to get the side where ennemies can go and stay hidden from player fire.

Some insight on AI work.

------------------------

Mob AI :

image.jpg

Each time you are no more in the line of sight of a mob due to some obstacle or cover, it will try to move to your position.

When you are in the line of sight , they simply fire at you.

When they are in attack mode , they can use two sensors, left and right for :

- Strafing left or right when the player hit them instead of staying static

- Choose another position if some mob have another mob in it's line of sight.

----------------------------------------

Mobs Melee on player :

melee.jpg

Another one is the melee management positions.

When the player is attacked the mob will choose some available position slot : Left, Right, Front , Back and just call GotoPoint() , the Player registers that the slot is no more available.

The next mob wanting to attack at melee will have to pick a free available position slot , if there is no available position it will wait.

This system is usefull to avoid many problems , like mobs that collides between them and can't reach the player, and also allows you to control how many willl get very close to the player and let other mobs come near but wait at some distance until a position is available so they can get closer and attack.

------------------------

Level covers management :

cover.jpg

During gameplay for each level there will be some script managers per zone (pivot object) , that will manage many things and also the covers of the zone.

Above the yellow is a building , and the three pivots are the potential covers.

Each second the manager script will raycast from each cover to the player position and will register what are the positions that can cover the mobs against the player fire.

Each mob needing a cover will ask the manager script what are the cover points where it will go.

--------------------

For AI, i find better looking at some videos :

- AI cover surfaces

- Smart objects

It's not a revolution, but something i plan to make in LE3 game