Particle Emitter defined in a Map, how to access in Lua Script?

Gonan

I have created an erupting volcano map, by adding a particle emitter to the caldera (volcano's crater), in the editor, with Realtime Render option ticked, it displays the blobs of lava flying out all around the volcano.

When I try to run it from script, in debug or run, the map loads but the emitter does not display. I thought maybe its been Reset and I need to get it to Play().

I can not find how to reference the objects which show in the Scene tab in the map editor, from Lua script.

I don't want to create the emitter, and set its values, within the script.

In App.lua i've set up the map to load

--Load a map

local mapfile = system:GetProperty("map","Maps/Erruption.map")

If Map:Load(mapfile,1)==false then return false end

// play ParticleEmitter2 which is the last item added on the Scene tab in the map editor.

ParticleEmitter2.Play()

// gives Error attempt to index global 'PaticleEmitter2' (a nil value)

return true

end

How should I reference that emitter contained in the loaded map using lua code?

Ive tried, prefixing the line with self.map., self.world.map. , self.context.map. self.world: and lots of other combos to no avail.

I have created an erupting volcano map, by adding a particle emitter to the caldera (volcano's crater), in the editor, with Realtime Render option ticked, it displays the blobs of lava flying out all around the volcano.

When I try to run it from script, in debug or run, the map loads but the emitter does not display.

That seems strange as I can add an emitter to a scene, load the scene via script, and it works just fine. The only problem I have had is with using sprite sheets with an emitter that is part of a prefab. If the sprite sheet emitter was part of a prefab, it would just show the entire sheet instead of individual tiles. Are you using the beta?

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Thanks Rick and macklebee, I am new to Lua, but experienced with C++.

No luck with the FindEntity function.

I am now trying the Map:Load with the script option, to see if I can access the ParticleEmitter2

I am using steam leadwerks 3.2, not using the beta. Should I switch to the beta?

I found the problem with the emitter not displaying in game. This was when I ticked the Shape hint, on the physics tab the emitter no longer displayed in game, but was ok in the editor, but if I unticked it, it was ok in both.

that sounds like a bug to me - or at least maybe the editor needs to remove certain properties based on the type of object?

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel