Saving objects outside the editor

Rastar

I would like to manipulate several Leadwerks assets outside the editor. The API provides all necessary functionality, except saving. I've seen that there is a Save() method e.g. in Map and Texture, but they are commented out. Also, the Object base class has methods for serializing/deserializing which require a Stream (and I'm unsure how to correctly create that).

Long story short: Is there currently a way to save such objects (as a first step I would need materials and the map itself)? @Josh: If not, could you add that?

Too bad - that basically means there is no way to procedurally modify your levels at design time. I think that should be high on the priority list, either by adding Save() methods to the Leadwerks API, or by allowing Lua scripts to run in the editor.

I think that should be high on the priority list.

Everyone one priority is never someone else priority, this is the main problem.

For example i don't need saving feature in LE3 actually, i would like lot more DOF, SSAO, HDR, Decals, volumetric particles effects, physically based shaders. Everyone has it's own goals and own priorities.

Stop toying and make games

True. But the means for many of the things that you describe are already in place. You already *can* write post processing shaders, for example (of course you must know how). But you can't write plugins or something similar right now. The things I had in mind when I asked that question were a road generation tool, procedural placement of vegetation and a custom material/shader editor. I just think the main focus for a one-man show like this should be to enable its community whatever they want to do - that's the only way you can make up for other engines' man power. But I know that this discussion is leading nowhere...

it's what makes Unity free even fantastic, caus there is so many plugins for each game stype or systems like path findignd, shader editors etc ... All thoses extensions could never been done by Unity alone, and they are a the big key of success and lot of money is generated from plugins.

LE3 would only benefit so much from having plugins possible, it would allow new tools, new extensions and systems, that would take years to LE3 making them. This would speed up a lot LE3 growing lot more fast. the problem is LE3 rely on some old Blitz interface module, so could be a nightmare to create custom panels for the editor.

Only way would be :

- allowing scripts to run in edit mode

- saving possibilities

- custom GUI running in real time in 3D view of the editor (it could be Neosis Gui) allowing you to create button ,sliders etc ... so you would have a custom interface in some sort possible independent on platform.

Anyway, this is not priority and plugin system seems to have been abandonned in some way.

Stop toying and make games

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've done a small test with the new .VMF export and it seem to work well here. I used "Crafty" to then convert this into a .OBJ that I was able to load in Max and see it. The only thing that is required is that your BSP geometry have a material, because it's needed by "Crafty". (Here is the link to the convertion tool if you need it: http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=46)

So now I'm really happy with this, since I can now have level references, that I can re-use inside a modeling application to make it pretty. Will also be useful so I can create a "box" around a character export the box, then have a relative size reference for a character in my modeling application.

I don't know if you can export everything but it work well with brushes, and for me that's mostly all that I was needing to design levels.

Thanks Josh!