Proper Bloom and Anti-Aliasing implementation

Ending Credits

I really want to do some proper Supersamled Anti-aliasing but I have no idea how to take readings for subpixels (yes, I am a bit of a n00b) the only other option I can thing of is taking a buffer of 4 or 8 times the size of the originally but this is prohibitively costly and I'm not even sure it's possible. Currently I'm using a modified version of HPNHan's version which is a nice effect but it doesn't really antialias (pixels are still clearly visible).

My other question is about bloom which I'm currently implementing akin to the tutorial. The problem I have is with the way the bloom buffer is blended by shrinking the buffer size (something Josh has pointed out before), has anyone found a better solution to this? The other issue is a white halo around the edge of the terrain, although technically this is correct since it is a glow shader.

AMD Phenom 9850 (X4 2.5GHz) | 1066MHz CL5 GEIL Black Dragon (800MHz) | Powercolor ATI 4870 1GB | DFI 790FXB-M2RSH | 24" 1920x1200 | Windows Vista 64-bit Ultimate

• 2 weeks later...

OK, well I got bloom working adequately by using a blur function instead of downsampling (I have a feeling that that's what's meant to be done and the tutorial was wrong since I just used a modified bloomblurx function). It may not be correct but it looks good and I fixed the lighter-than-the-sky halos by squaring the 3rd colour buffer so lighter areas are much more prominent than darker areas. (The effect works brilliantly for normal objects, the problem was with the skybox.)

I noticed just now that I have to have 5 buffers for my primary buffer (BUFFER_COLOR|BUFFER_DEPTH|BUFFER_NORMAL|BUFFER_COLOR2|BUFFER_COLOR3) and removing any of these causes a crash and I can't run bloom without any of these. The problem is that BUFFER_COLOR2 seems to just be the normal with a different name. I'm going to check this again but it seems a bit weird.

I should probably stop following the tutorials, I keep needing to rewrite most of the shaders.

AMD Phenom 9850 (X4 2.5GHz) | 1066MHz CL5 GEIL Black Dragon (800MHz) | Powercolor ATI 4870 1GB | DFI 790FXB-M2RSH | 24" 1920x1200 | Windows Vista 64-bit Ultimate

SSAA is not possible with a deferred renderer in OpenGL 2. Hence why many people (... or just me) request OpenGL 3 to be used.

You can always render to bigger buffers and display a smaller one, but this will be incredibly costly, although quite nice.