leadwerks source code license

panz3r

Out of curiosity how many of you would be interested in buying the leadweks source code license ?

My project is aimed to be long term and the source code would give me peace of mind that my game will not suffer a painfull dead if anything happends with leadwerks.

My budget would be arround 1000$ for the source code for a single project (i will not make more than one project).

EDIT: please don't bring in discussion other engines, i am aware of alternatives and costs but they don;t fit my needs

yep I also think so, price is much higher but ask josh for it, I think noone can tell you because most of us just own indie or older versions and not the source code. 1000$ for FULL sourcecode access vs 200$ for just a Leadwerks 3.1 standard copy.

It doesn´t work... why? mhmmm It works... why?

From a modding point of view it would be interesting since you would be able to make your own plugins. From a commercial point of view I don't see the advantage.

I think $1000,- is nowhere near the price of a source license. I think the minimum would at least be around $25.000,-.

Well i see my project living 10 years or more. Is not necesarely aimed to be a comercial success but to implement my vision . many things can happen in 10 years, but if you have the source code when windows 10 is released and your project does not run on it you can be screwed if there isn't support anymore for the game engine.

10 years is really long. Don't get me wrong, if it is in your reach, then go for it.

Lets say you are 10 years further and your project no longer works on windows 10, do you think you are going to have the skill to maintain an engine and its editor? Let alone, is this engine still worth it after 10 years? By then I imagine that Leadwerks 4/5 must have come out with so much more up to date rendering.

I don't want to discourage in anyway but it seems like a very unrealizable and technically unattractive goal.

10 years is too much, no people plan 10 Years for a game project , lot of things will change within 10 Years could it be 3D engines, 3D cards, or technology. But well if it is a passion and a goal ...

Even Duke Nukem Forever, they really didn't planned all these years laugh.png

Stop toying and make games

10 years is too much, no people plan 10 Years for a game project , lot of things will change within 10 Years could it be 3D engines, 3D cards, or technology. But well if it is a passion and a goal ...

Even Duke Nukem Forever, they really didn't planned all these years laugh.png

10 years to run and improve, is aimed to be a persistent world hosted on server.

The graphic itself is somehow simple,some spaceships, some shoting, and menus with buying/selling stuff.

I will start simple, with place holders and improve stuff in time.

10 years is really long. Don't get me wrong, if it is in your reach, then go for it.

Lets say you are 10 years further and your project no longer works on windows 10, do you think you are going to have the skill to maintain an engine and its editor? Let alone, is this engine still worth it after 10 years? By then I imagine that Leadwerks 3 must have come out with so much more up to date rendering.

I don't want to discourage in anyway but it seems like a very unrealizable and technically unattractive goal.

I want to thank you for your amazing tutorials. They have been my startup for my game. I bought some graphical assets from the net and now i can fool myself with flying MY ship around MY station in MY "game". I know it isn;t much but is VERY COOL for me.

I am working now at the network code to connect to the server.

• Upvote 1

For me the only interest I would have for a source license, is when I wanted to make more use of the editor. All the advanced tech stuff I am happily leaving to Josh.

I think the flowgraph and the scene tree are missing some huge functions that I really like to see. What I'd be most interested in, is whether we could develop plugins that we can then share with the community.

• Upvote 2

I would also like to dev plugins for the editor/engine. This may even take some stress off josh, if the plugin loader is planned and implemented right.

• Upvote 1

bool Life()
{
 while(death=false)
 {
   if(death==true)
   return death;
 }
}

I have found the secret to infinite life

Did I help you out? Like my post!

We asked plugin system from beginning of Leadwerks 3.0 already unsure.png

It's a attended feature today to make custom tools, could it be Unity plugin system or UE4 open source code.

For example , i baught some Unity plugins because i could not code some feature or i needed some additionnal tool, or some navigation system only present in Pro.

This would make LE3 lot more complete with more options for everyone , new ideas, new tools , more personnalizable , but this subject in LE3 never got hot unfortunatelly.

That's sad as main users are coders.

Stop toying and make games

I guess that was one of the purposes of implementing LUA. Allows users to generate their own code to modify the engine. From my perspective, the engine and the editor are 2 separate entities packaged together and the package is named leadwerks.

bool Life()
{
 while(death=false)
 {
   if(death==true)
   return death;
 }
}

I have found the secret to infinite life

Did I help you out? Like my post!

One slightly insane sounding idea would be to release source code for the editor - free of charge to licensees. That way Josh wouldn't reveal any of his IP regarding rendering etc. but really could jump-start community contributions. I guess many of us don't want to fool around with the core engine but would love to improve the workflow, deal with a few UI bugs, inconsistencies and omissions. And I think the only way to stay afloat in these crazy times is to 1) have a few differentiating factors and 2) leverage the community for development and content.

Just a silly thought..