3D coat retopology tutorial and tips

YouGroove

Ive done some retopo stuff with 3d coat but when I choose some textures I have created in leadwerks (1024x1024) the texture looks like superlow 32x32 (no details much pixelstuff). when I drop the texture onto a normal ground or brush everything looks fine and detailed in leadwerks. any clue whats wrong?

It doesn´t work... why? mhmmm It works... why?

Ive done some retopo stuff with 3d coat but when I choose some textures I have created in leadwerks (1024x1024) the texture looks like superlow 32x32 (no details much pixelstuff). when I drop the texture onto a normal ground or brush everything looks fine and detailed in leadwerks. any clue whats wrong?

Hey man, real quick question. Where did you create these textures? Are they textures you've downloaded off the internet? Are you using Leadwerks to paint on terrain?

It might be me reading your problem incorrectly, I can't seem to make sense of what your explaining though, sorry :(

ive created the textures with substance designer/bitmap2material. they look awesome on normal walls or ground that I create with leadwerks but on my 3d model they look crappy like they have a low resolution

edit

ok it seems that my UV resolution was not high enough. god damn all that resolution UV normal map displacement retopo voxel obj->fbx stuff is so confusing biggrin.png

• Upvote 1

It doesn´t work... why? mhmmm It works... why?

Ahh I see, one thing to take into consideration is your UV seams and texture space. If your model is already retopo'ed then you can go to Retopo menu in 3D - Coat and then choose the Merge to NM option then go to the paint room and you can choose your texture and do cube mapping.

http://www.3d-coat.com/wiki/index.php/2.5_Masks_Tab

On the Youtube video, skip to about 24:45 and you'll see him start to use mask's use that same feature with your texture to paint onto your model but instead of using the brush you can use the fill tool, to fill the whole of your model with the texture. You can resize you texture by using the magnifying glass on the tool bar.

My only guess as to why the texture looks weird would be the way you have done your UV's possibly.

• Upvote 1

Yeah there are a lot of settings. I think the main ones when doing retopo are making sure you your bake settings are correct (outer shell needs to cover the whole model, inner shell needs to be completely inside your model). Digman one of the guys on my team may be able to answer your questions, try sending him a PM :)

He is a 3D - Coat guru ;)