Physically based shaders (question)

YouGroove

Physically based shaders from what i seen are just shaders.

I mean they keep standard parameters like diffuse map and normal map components.

They add a metal map , and some reflection/environment maps for example also or a cavity one.

Could that be ported to LE3 ?

I think it would mean new shaders only using map slots and some new panel to adjust shader values? LE3 core rendering keeping to be the same ?

Will it need a new panel to paint shaders or new tools ? i seems yes.

3D coat for example uses standard shaders, using physically ones : in fact different ones , means more layers, more work some more 3D Coat channels and map for example.

Stop toying and make games

I use Substance Painter and I know that has more texture maps like roughness, metallic etc. I did paint a test model in Substance Painter and had like 7 or 8 different texture maps when I exported. I'm still new to all this and I have no idea on what to do with them. I don't even know if these extra texture maps can be used in Leadwerks.

I need to do more research and learning for this kind of subject anyway :P

As far as I am aware though I know how I can use my diffuse, normal, specular maps. I think there is a way to mix the channels together for things like the metallic texture map in Substance Painter, would make sense (to me anyway) to use that on your specular channel. Although I still don't know how it all works and I may be talking complete s*** lol

they can be used definitly but you need to implement your own physic based shaders to use those texture maps. maybe *cough* shadmar rolleyes.gif can do something if we can afford some beer/energy/naked college girls. pbr looks like the "new ****" and the right shaders in leadwerks would be great because you can use a bunch of nice new tools for nice looking game experiences.

I´m not sure if the 3d output with diffuse, normal, spec, displacement would be optical the same with the pb-maps but I claim it does ~basically. maybe with a few differences.

Ive exported some pbr stuff as normal diffuse, normal, spec (is there a name for this like "physic based rendering" but just for the normal thing?) and it also looks nice with substance designer. I tried the textures in leadwerks and it look fancy (but using substances would be much cooler tongue.png)

It doesn´t work... why? mhmmm It works... why?

(is there a name for this like "physic based rendering" but just for the normal thing?)

Forget that "physical based" term , it's a way of attracting people, there a just different shaders with different calculation maths laugh.png, but allowing to render more accurately materials.

Metal is very specific, caus it will reflect less or more some environment map depending on your metal material ,

bronze don't show a lot the environement map and Gold just totally shows the environement map.

It's comparable to very old environment material rendering, but done with a shader and a bitmpa to make variation like showing metla to no metal at all.

For LE3 it would just need a new shader able to use a bitmap as variation metal (black : no metal to white : full metal) and the environment map simulating metal reflecting environment.

Stop toying and make games

Yeah I agree with DudeAwesome. Integrating Substances would be amazing! With the popularity with Substance Painter and Designer I think Unity and Unreal are the only engines at the moment that support Substances and allow you to use that awesome expose feature to expose parameters for your Substances and use them directly in a game engine.

If this issue with adding new shaders can be done then I would be a very happy werker! :D