AirPlane controller

YouGroove

Well i seen in another engine some example where they used some characterController for some airplane and it worked great.

With LE3 it don't work, i tried several stuff, but it remains character only it seems.

I tried with with physics only and put in the physics loop :

- Add force on Z to make plane move forward with trust speed

- on keys up/down AddTorque on X ot make plane turns up or turn down to floor

- on keys left/right AddTorque on Y to make plane turn right or left

The problem is that it's super hard to control even with light forces.

Caus you add torque forces each time, and it becomes to turn to much for example.

In airplane simulation, you turn a lot when in low speed, and turn less when going faster.

For pointing up and down, in arcade mode if i can say, you should turn each time at same speed, and not have turning increase each time , to be too fast in the end.

So anyone got some tips ? perhaps use no forces at all and just rotate and move functions, but in that case it won't detect collisions.

LE3 terrain will need airplanes races wink.png

Stop toying and make games

Hi yougroove. If you go down the physics root then be prepared for a lot of maths and understanding of airfoil dynamics. I have written many flight physics in leadwerks, some nit so good and one really good but that had a lot of work put into it. If you want arcade flight then I wouldn't use physics. The initial problem you will face is the problem of drag.

If you want basic fligh just simulate this using move and rotate and curve the values to make it smooth.

I am actually porting my flight physics from le2 to le3 although with current le3 physics I am running into issues.

Andy

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.

Leadwerks Game-Ready 3D Models:https://sellfy.com/gib3d

Thanks for the advice Andy.

That's sad, caus it works so simple and good elsewhere in some other character controller, i had the lfying plane and collison, good physic, smooth move in some minutes.

In LE3 , no physics, means i won't be able to detect collisions between some plane shape and level or other planes.

Anyway, ok , i'll try to find some solution.

And what engine did you have smooth flying physics in? As Ive tried a few including unity, torque and UDK and all required already developed flight libraries or you needed to develop your own, just like leadwerks.

Anyway, hope you manage to do it. By all means have a good go, I learnt the most I ever did in regard to physics when I wrote my flight physics in le2.

Andy

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.

Leadwerks Game-Ready 3D Models:https://sellfy.com/gib3d

I can send you the youtube tutorial i used, as this is Unity, this is not allowed to post here.

They just used the character controller and it works just fine, i followed the tutorial and the plane movement was just some easy part.

I mean arcade plane controller and not like you are doing what is more a big simulation with lot of maths indeed.

In Leadwerks 3, i just have something using physics, cas i need collision with level and other stuff, i have just to find some way of limiting the torque

you add each time, and have less inertia on rotations also.

• 2 weeks later...