Mobiles: The Undiscovered Country- Some Questions/Observations

Guest Red Ocktober

Guest Red Ocktober

This whole mobiles (phone/tablets) is new to me... so please bear with me and have some tolerance for my ignorance...

1 - SECURITY - QUESTION: since these are all computers, and there may be a lot of sensitive info/data stored on em, i was a lil taken back when i was browsing the google play app store and looking at the system access a lot of the apps there have... can someone explain to me whether the following "permissions could constitute a security compromise...

THIS APPLICATION HAS ACCESS TO THE FOLLOWING:

• NETWORK COMMUNICATION
    FULL NETWORK ACCESS
    Allows the app to create network sockets and use custom network protocols. The browser and other applications provide means to send data to the internet, so this permission is not required to send data to the internet.
  • PHONE CALLS
    READ PHONE STATUS AND IDENTITY
    Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call.
  • STORAGE
    MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR USB STORAGE MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR SD CARD
    Allows the app to write to the USB storage. Allows the app to write to the SD card.
  • SYSTEM TOOLS
    PREVENT TABLET FROM SLEEPING PREVENT PHONE FROM SLEEPING
    Allows the app to prevent the tablet from going to sleep. Allows the app to prevent the phone from going to sleep.

at first blush (coming from the security compromised pc environment), these things seem like serious compromises... am i being a lil to 'noid???

2 - GRAPHICS - COMMENT: while browsing the Android mart, i ran upon this lil diddy... looks like the sort of graphics Leadwerks mobile devs would wanna have... at the minimum...

6pApJlVe8mtRHuC6KI1w9RxfSPWBtgLqJwyB4iojbs6pBUp9HkQX9TdvxuFeP-IkmQ.jpg

here's a short review vid from yooo tooob

do you think promised graphics enhancement will bring Leadwerks graphics up to this level... or is it already there...

3 - MARKETING - QUESTION: Is anyone marketing anything for Android yet.... and if so, which marketing outlet and why... has anyone marketed anything Google Play yet, and if so a few words on your experiences...

THANKS

--Mike

Guest Red Ocktober

no, i didn't get those memos... is Rick's App available in the Android market as well as AppStore?

did he comment on the security concerns/aspects or show a vid or some screenshots of his app?

i'm searching... direct me...

--Mike

Guest Red Ocktober

thx for the info Rick... i found you on Google Play... looks good...

yeah, i have a few questions about the security aspects of downloading an app that has what appears to be unrestricted access to a lot of the passwords, banking info, stock feeds, pron urls, etc...

while your app doesn't seem to want to do anything more than add some game essential info, or store a high score...

THIS APPLICATION HAS ACCESS TO THE FOLLOWING:

• STORAGE
    MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR USB STORAGE MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR SD CARD
    Allows the app to write to the USB storage. Allows the app to write to the SD card.

some of the free apps seem to want access to the entire phone... this is what i was asking some of the devs experienced on this to comment about...

as far as graphics go... moles seems to do a good enough job for the intended market... do you have any comments of the graphics capabilities of Leadwerks 3 as far as your dev work goes and what'd you'd like to have for your next game...

--Mike