Choosing sound volumes

SpiderPig

I assume most of you, like me, have various sounds gathered over the years but all of them are at varying levels of volume.  Even simple things like, the footsteps on stone might be 10x louder than the footsteps for grass.  I wonder if anyone knows if there is a standard volume sounds should be converted to in dB?  I mean there are sounds which should be louder than others like explosions vs footsteps but are there pre-defined levels they should be at or is it just a guessing game?  Curious to hear any thoughts you guys might have.  :)

Tough one this. There is no "standard" volume settings for sounds.

You can minimize volume differences by using sounds from the same source ( producer) but ultimately you will have to adjust the sound volumes individually.

Dialogue, music and sound effects will need their own levels, this may vary even in the same game. eg in game versus intro menu.

• Thanks 1

Yeah it is a tough one.  I think I've found a way in Audacity to normalise sounds to a specific dB rating.  Even if it's not exact it doesn't matter, just as long as the sounds have the right volume compared to each other.  A few of the systems like dialogue, music and effects will have a master volume.  I think I'll have to use a chart like this, just to get an idea on where things should be to make them at least a little realistic.  I'll probably make my own chart based on this and insert my sounds at the correct dB rating and then just test it!  See if that works.

noiselevelchart.thumb.png.b19668f3877e2bca5796a1f85483bfdd.png

• Like 1