Guides, Tutorials and a helping hand (Leadwerks)

WazMeister

Hi,

I recently bought LeadWerks to learn and understanding.. but mainly make games!

I've gone through the Leadwerks Documentation tutorials and used the command references to try understand a little bit more.  I've arrived here and searched on forums and blogs for various items that I've picked up over years by playing around with game creation but struggling to find any meaty topics that provide any insight or tutorials.  I've also done (gulp) youtube search for tutorials on leadwerks and their either really old or not much at all.

Following all the documentation and playing around, it's like I've been left in a bit of a hole...  which is good at times. Hand holding never really pushes individuals to test, trial by error.. but I feel really stuck,

Example, I want my animated model (which is in leadwerks, animations are there. great) to be 3rd person and when I keydown W,A,S,D it will play the certain animation (walk, run if I hold shift), go back to idle state if not moving etc....

I get a top down view, via creating a camera (using the marble tutorial help of creating and moving a camera), I add controls to move my model... using stuff I learnt from the Marble tutorail.... but now nothing for trying to animate... Scouring I identify SetAnimation.. nothing works, I locate PlayAnimation command and get a little something but still not right..

My brain then goes into overdrive... my code needs to be nice... I want a finate state machine to setup player states and animations / movement etc.  So i earch for that and don't really find any guides or help..  alot of posts people stating how they use a FSM and how great it is....but no real tips...  I search Lua FSM and don't get much help, the code also seems very different from regular Lua coding help to scriping in Leadwerks which threw me off...

Sooo sorry, very lond winded post to just get to the point......!

Basically, where are all the juicy tutorials, guides and tip content that must of been produced over the years that relates to Leadwerks 4.6 (think that's latest steam version I have). Things like to do following-

Third person view

Controls

Finiate State Machines

Animations for player

Animations for AI / enemies

Terrain production

gravity

etc...

I loacted amazing Character Controller blog Part 1 & 2... thats best content so far.

Any advice, very much appreciated.  Really enjoying this Leadwerks stuff, I was loving Blitz3D but this took my attentioN!

Dream since child of making games! From Game Programming Starter Kit 3.0, Blitz Basic, Map Creation since Duke 3D, Game Maker, Blitz3D (of recent..2023) and many other engines and years..... never really sticking to it with inner struggles that I've had to fight along with pushing to learn and acheive.

40 years old.. came across Leadwerks on Steam... Learning slowly but surely and loving it!

Learn with me or just watch me fail! at my random Youtube Channel, as I stream adhoc while learning and using LeadWerks and other game creating tools.

https://www.youtube.com/@wazmeister3151/featured

Found a few good posts and content shared... Think. I'm 4 or so years too late though! 😝. None links to the videos or sites work anymore.  Booo shame no archive of it all

Dream since child of making games! From Game Programming Starter Kit 3.0, Blitz Basic, Map Creation since Duke 3D, Game Maker, Blitz3D (of recent..2023) and many other engines and years..... never really sticking to it with inner struggles that I've had to fight along with pushing to learn and acheive.

40 years old.. came across Leadwerks on Steam... Learning slowly but surely and loving it!

Learn with me or just watch me fail! at my random Youtube Channel, as I stream adhoc while learning and using LeadWerks and other game creating tools.

https://www.youtube.com/@wazmeister3151/featured