Requesting Info.

fumanshoo

Hey, so I finished watching almost all of Aggror (aka Jorn TheUnnison's) videos, which where really helpful, but now I want to learn a bit more, specifically about Leadwerk's Lua script. Could anyone give me a link to some good basic tutorials or anything like that? Thanks in advance.

Aggor's work is probably the best resource I have found. It is priceless.

First: Read every script in the script folder. If you don't you are missing out.

You can kind of assume that the Lua library has most of the c and c++ api. The more you use it the more little wired things you find. The wiki has quite a few errors in it but incredibly valuable. I don't think a lot of really advanced stuff has been published for lua so you will have to adapt the c/c++/blitz fragments to lua.

The first lua challenge is to learn self and its OO model through metatables.

The rest is programming soul. Lua is the 5th language I have learned. I have read the lua manual atleast 3 times. The have read the section on tables way too many times. I scoured github's most watched list and read probably 30 open source projects writen in lua. Lua is a very hackable language do to the fact that it has primatives, functions, metatables, and userdata. Looking at other people's code is very inspiring. If you don't care about productivity try writing a piece of reusable code around a problem that you have to solve frequently.

I am in the middle of writing a gui library. I have 100 hours spent on that stupid gui. I have learned a ton from it. I am a web guy, and in web land if you are a senior web guy almost all of the coding problems are solved and you are only good if you can make a product that people like so a good gui library is very important to me since I feel it adds a lot of finesse to the user experience.

• Upvote 1

You are such an inspiration to me haha. I just got started with programming in general and I have to say, it's a lot more fun than I thought, but I have had a lot of trouble finding information. Aggror is valuable like you said, but there's just not enough for me to get started on a functional game. And wow, I really do need to go back into the script folder. I looked at it a while back and it was just too much for me. Thank you so much for the wiki and user manual. Pinning these links right away! biggrin.png