Transparent materials in Sandbox

elcoo

Hi,

I read the transparency and refraction tutorial and I understood that you have to render transparent materials after you rendered the lighted scene, so that you would see lighting effects through the transparent object. How do I achieve this in the sandbox? As far as I know the sandbox already has back and foreground worlds, is that right? Or how else do the atmosphere and particles work?

Thanks, that helped at least for that problem. I ran right into the next one though I guess. I forgot to mention that I also need alphablending for vegetation. As far as I'm concerned you cannot apply scripts to vegetation, can you?

Edit: Also: Can you set the world for a surface after it is created?

I would suggest you read the User Guide.

There is an example of the alphatest material file to use with the inherent vegetation that comes with the SDK:

texture0="abstract::tree_spruce_leaf_DF.dds"
texture1="abstract::tree_spruce_leaf_N.dds"
texture3="abstract::tree_spruce_leaf_Spec.dds"

specular=0.25
cullface=0

shader="abstract::mesh_diffuse_bumpmap_sway.vert", "abstract::mesh_diffuse_bumpmap_specular_alphatest.frag"
shadowshader="abstract::mesh_shadow_sway.vert","abstract::mesh_shadow.frag"

The object scripts basically are only used for the models and not the vegetation mesh layers, but you can have a script for the vegetation if you use them as individual models - it just will not have much effect on the vegetation layer. Unless of course you use the script to change mesh colors.

Well you would be creating a mesh and you can set its world after its been created by using SetEntityWorld(), but common practice is to just use SetWorld() prior to creating the mesh.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Thanks for the user guide, that seems to also cover some of the other problems I ran into. I could not find the SetEntityWorld() command in any command reference or even using google. That makes it a bit hard for me to start, as I seemingly cannot find any complete list of commands.

Its available in lua and bmax... cannot say whether or not its in c/c++. But like I said, most people just set the world prior to creation then set the world back to previous after.

As for a command list... there are a couple online as well as found in files in the SDK. Online can be found here and here.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel