Questions about multiplayer

Arska134

Hello!

As somebody already knows i'am programming multiplayer FPS game. I have some questions.

1. When syncing multiplayer game, it's necessaey make packets to get "old". What i mean is that new players who joining to server late won't be receiving these packages. (Gunshots, chat messages, etc...) Currently i use server time to determine which packages are way too old to be happened now, but it has little problem... When server time reaches maximum value of "int", server crashes. What would be better way to do this?

2. Next question is about syncing physics. How it's done in most of multiplayer games? Who calculates physics? Server or clients?

If server calculates all physics for clients, what is best way to determine if physics entity was hit? Server side physic calculated would increase bandwidth, but it's accurate. There would be some laggy moving objects without network smoothing.

If clients will calculate physics it can be very inaccurate, but bandwidth would be lower.

For example if i choose to use client side calculations, how i can tell every player that something was hit, and then make it accurate as possible?

So how it's best way to be done?

Windows 7 Ultimate | Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80 ghz | Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 | Leadwerks 2.5 | Blitzmax

I would make multiplayer game so that it's mostly based on client, and only very rare server communication happens, and even then in another thread so it doesn't lag the client. Lagging the client is worst thing you can do. You can always sync clients via the server every 1 minute or so, and it's fun to see the chaos. There is chaos anyway, so better make it fun.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■