Descent remake

andy_s

Hi everyone,

after a long time without following LE, I hopefully have now time again to work on some projects. I always dreamt of recreating a game like descent...anyone remembers this? I have a few questions, hopefully I get some answers:

- can gravity in LE2 be turned off?

- is it possible to implement 6DOF movement?

- how would you do the levels...model them in a 3d app like Maya, or maybe using 3d worldstudio?

- AI: is there a resource the would allow the bots to fly around the caves?

Thanks a lot for any input already!

- can gravity in LE2 be turned off?

Yes.

- is it possible to implement 6DOF movement?

Yes.

- how would you do the levels...model them in a 3d app like Maya, or maybe using 3d worldstudio?

Any 3D editor + converter to GMF format.

- AI: is there a resource the would allow the bots to fly around the caves?

Resource? What do you mean? You can create any AI you need with your hands. There is no support of any AI-algorithms in LE 2.X from the box. Only physics and raycasting.

thanks for the answers already! Another question: is LE automatically optimized for indoor areas? I mean, will it draw only the room the player is in, or always the whole scene? What's the best way to construct a big indoor level...one big gmf, or put it together out of many small ones?

LE 2.X has no special optimization for indoor levels as far as I know. It just doesn't render hidden entities which is good for rendering time. But if you have a lot of objects on the scene culling time will matter.

So if you want to make a huge indoor level the best way is to split it on separate little levels and make loading between them.

Also you can try to stream you level (download and unload rooms while player moves forward). But it may cause lags in that loading moments.

Or you can try to make hierarchy of entities. So big rooms will be parent for small parts (boxes, oildrums etc). LE will hide all children automatically if parent is hidden.

Thus separate model for each room is more usable.