Engine.exe faster than my own compiled version?

elcoo

Hey guys,

I'm new to Leadwerks and I just downloaded the evaluation kit. So I created the "Spinning Cube" project with the LEbuilder and compiled it in VS 2010. It works and looks the same as the one that's included in the SDK. However it "only" runs with 1200 FPS, while the one comming with the SDK (Engine.exe) runs at 1800 FPS on the same resolution. I know that its hard to compare FPS when they are this high, but the difference is just soo obvious. How does this come?

Not sure about this..... but if the one that comes with LE doesn't use framework() then it makes sense to be faster because framework uses HDR by default.

If it doesn't then I don't know.

Man I think LE or rather OpenGL hates ATI... or at least mine. My computer is high end except the graphics card which is average and ATI. I don't ever get more than say 320fps in debug build without anything in a scene..... Yet I can pretty much play any game that exists on PC with full graphics or near and decent fps.

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Are you running the built release executable directly or via VS. You need to run using Ctrl F5 to avoid any debug overhead if run from the IDE, even in release mode. I still wouldn't expect it to make that much difference though!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

This is a bit sidetracked, but WOW.

I get like 200 FPS ony my laptop on a fresh project.

I guess the GTX680 is that kind of a gfx card you call a beast.

Disabeling HDR via SetHDR(0) gave a performance boost of 100 FPS, but still isn't that high as in the precompiled exe. Are there some more options, like Antialiasing or Anistropic filters, that are set higher in the framework maybe?

Btw, I did some mass physics tests, with instancing and so on and I have to say I'm pretty impressed by the overall performance of Leadwerks. Guess I'll stick to it :)