Controller speed

Roland

This is the information given about update of a controller

void UpdateController( TController controller, flt angle, flt move, flt strafe=0, flt jump=0, flt maxacceleration=0.5f, int iterations=1, int crouchmode=0 )

Updates the controller direction, movement and jump state. The iterations parameter controls how many times collision is calculated. Using several iterations can make motion appear smoother when a camera is attached to the controller. However, an iterations value of one is enough for controllers that do not control the view.

Question

How does the parameter 'move' relate to the actual movement in the game.

What does a value of 'move=1' mean?

What does 'max acceleration=1' mean?

AV MX Linux

I can't give you precise information about "move" and "acceleration", but i can say that those values are not frame rate independent. Means you still need to multiply the passed value by Appspeed() to get it right.

What i use is a macro for ((1.0f / 60.0f) * Appspeed()), which allows me to use meters per seconds everywhere.

(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up. I have never found you need to modulate the velocity parameter to UpdateController with AppSpeed(). All my previous testing showed that any given constant value remains correct as you increase or decrease the framerate. This is about the only place I don't use it!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++