ObjectTable in C++ ?

Digiverse

Some game scripts refer to an objecttable in order to get additional info from an object created in its script.

chassis=LoadModel("abstract::monstertruck.gmf")

carobject=objecttable[chassis]

car=carobject.vehicle

In the above drive.lua game script, a monstertruck is being created in its own monstertruck.lua script when the gmf model is loaded and we can use the objecttable to get a reference to the vehicle object that was created in the monstertruck script.

However, I'm a bit lost as to how I would get this vehicle object reference if I were to not have a game script but be running the game in C++.

I could still use

chassis=LoadModel("abstract::monstertruck.gmf")

in my C++ game, but how could I get a reference to the vehicle object that was created by CreateVehicle in the monstertruck.lua?

Sorry if this is basic stuff, but I'm a bit stumped!

Thanks for your replies.

My main reason for wanting to utilise Lua scripts for the basic setup and properties of the vehicle was so I could make quick changes during testing within the Editor environment and use the same script in my main c++ game.

I was previously setting up my vehicle completely in C++, but it meant I wasn't easily able to use the same vehicle in the Editor (without copying the code into a lua script).

I've still not found a way of accessing the TVehicle reference in C++ of a car made in Lua, but I've got around it quite well for now by doing everything that needs the TVehicle in the script and everything else in C++.

In a way its quite nice because it keeps the creation and use of the vehicle seperate. Theres actually something quite satisfying about passing in throttle and steering commands from C++ into a car script and having the game control the car.

I'm far more comfortable with C++ than Lua though and this only works for me at the moment because the code required in the car script is relatively small, so it maybe that long term I transfer it all back into C++ if I end up needing to access the TVehicle more, but the process has certinaly help me to learn Lua a bit.