More Layer in Sand-box !!!!

Gabriel

It just means that you make your landscape in Blender with the sculpt tool and then place the terrain pieces in Leadwerks Editor. You can have a somewhat flat base terrain in Editor, and you just place big rock, overhang and hill models and other landscape components on top of it.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Why should the textures be huge? Just make the models huge, with a repeating and seamless texture. In Editor you also have repeating and seamless textures for the terrain.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Texture size would be the same, the only real difference using a mesh and painting the mesh would be less textures used, since it would all be painted on a single texture. I wouldn't go below 4096 unless you plan on a lot of vegetation because any lower resolution looks kind of bad. I would use 4096 on parts of the terrain that would have no, or very little, vegetation, and 2048 (maybe even 1024) on high vegetation density areas.

The only downside to using mesh is ease of editing compared but I guess that really depends on your modeling/sculpting skills. You'd also have to make sure each section of mesh aligns with the next within your modeling program. Having your level already conceptualized before modeling would reduce the amount of edits you would have to do, because I can imagine a situation where you decided to make clearing for a building right at a location where four meshes combine to make the area. Not only would you be editing the four meshes but also repainting those meshes. You should also definitely have LOD's for your terrain meshes but you don't have to bother if you don't plan on open fields/areas.

The overall level design concept should help define how the level should be designed. I predict multiple meshes instead of one large mesh so that the engine can cull sections correctly. Really all depends on the overall level design, what you need, and so on.

• Upvote 1