[SOLVED ]Huge problem with assigning materials to model

Jardar

First, let me say that I remember this question to be asked earlier, but after hours of looking, i gave up on finding the topic.

I have a model of a simple pole for a rope railing typically used with galleries, movie theaters and so on.

This pole works fine with textures in any modeling application i load it in, so the UVs are correct, it also works fine in THREE.js

However, when loading the model in the modelViewer, it appears completely grey and if I expand the material, it says <none>.

I have created a pole.mat file which is a near copy of the oildrum.mat file, with no luck.

I have now converted obj and fbx versions of this pole for hours without gaining any ground.

here is the material file in plain text:

texture0="abstract::pole.dds"

texture1="abstract::poledot3.dds"

shader="abstract::mesh_diffuse_bumpmap.vert","abstract::mesh_diffuse_bumpmap_specular.frag"

and the model and textures packaged as attachement.

I really hope someone can help me understand what im missing here..

Win7: 3.4GHz i7, 16Gb RAM DDR3, Radeon HD 6970 2048MB

well it won't matter how you setup your material... the model doesn't have a texture/material associated with it - as was shown in the ModelViewer. You need to either assign the texture correctly within your modelling app or inside something like uu3d. What are you using for conversion to GMF?

Also, a 2048x2048 texture is a little overkill for this simple pole... you could get the same look with a much smaller texture or even by just using vertex coloring...

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

true indeed that that the texture is a bit of an overkill, but it is also the texture for the rope.

I modeled the pole in modo and painted it in 3dcoat. I dont know how to assing the texture properly in either one of them appart for how I did it.

I used obj2gmf to convert from obj to gmf, and fbx2gmf for the fbx version. Same results, only fbx version became a thousand times larger when converted to gmf, heh.

After a lengthy and very helpful chat with Macklebee, the issue is solved.

The problem was simply put that the .mtl file that was saved along with my .obj didnt have any material assigned with it.

when exporting from 3dcoat for instance, it is a good idea to export the color texture along with the model, then it writes the path to the texture.