Understanding SetStats()

Clackdor

So, I'm a little obsessed with improving performance right now. Can't seem to focus on moving on to coding game play at least until I understand some things.

I'm taking a look at the values in the SetStats() function.

FPS - self explanitory

Polys - got it

Shadow Polys - got it

Mem Usage - got it

World Render Time - Is this all of the other times (Entity Draw Time, Terrain Draw Time,Vegetation Draw Time) added up? Seems like it.

Octree update time - Whats this?

Entities drawn - Seems straightforward.

Batch Draw Time

Batches drawn - What is a batch in this context? My number of batches is very high compared to some of the sample .sbx files that come with LW.

I don't exactly know what these batches are, but from what i read it's good to have as few of them as possible.

For example different instances of the same model can be drawn in one batch, therefore it's much faster then using noninstances models.

For the world render time i think you are right, it's most likely just the time it needs to render everything that was created in this world.

The octree is used for occlusion culling AFAIK. So it's just the time the engines needs to update the octree to represent your scene with the current camera and entities positions.

(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)

I have a question:

For example different instances of the same model can be drawn in one batch, therefore it's much faster then using noninstances models.

Whats the difference between 'different instances of the same model' and 'using noninstanced models'?

I don understand that. Aren't all models loaded instances?

AV MX Linux

An instanced model is only represented once in memory. Every other instance of the model just has some sort of pointer to that models data.

The noninstanced model has the whole data for each instance and requires more memory as well as more GPU power.

You're right Roland, by default LE uses instancing for every model. Maybe Clackdor has a wide variety of different models, i dunno.

(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)