Creating multiple objects, and editing them ALL

Guest Astral

Guest Astral

leadwerkshelp1.jpg

Is there any quick way, of placing multiples objects, with some randomness and not overlapping.

In this image, I have placed a load of bricks, which I've been manually copying/pasting then scaling/moving. Because I want the wall to have a good feel to it, so instead of 1 giant texture, I'm using multiple "brick" objects, which definitely looks better than a plain single wall object. However it is a choir to repeat this over & over.

So I guess the question is, how can I place an objects (multiple times), and give them randomness (e.g. move a 1-3 grid spaces in the Z axis for each object), and also have a random scale, and also not overlapping (perhaps using collision detection to prevent too many bricks ending up in 1 place, so it would end up being a wall of slightly random bricks)

One last question, is there anyway of replacing all texture on the objects. What I found was, even if I edit the brick object .MAT file, and point it to a different DDS, it fails and loads the white-no-texture for each brick. I wonder, when bricks are placed are they hard-coded with info, because I even tried replacing the brick .GMF .MAT .DDS and generated new ones, with exactly the same name, in same directory, but to no avail, no change occurred and simply the white-no-texture came up on all bricks. Even if I create a new file and place the same-edited brick object, it doesn't work.

P.s. I use the nvidia compressor tool, to create DDS. Not that, that should make a difference, since it all works fine.

I would make them all movable physics objects, and then place them in Editor. When they get to rest, it will take almost no FPS. And then you can also destroy the wall! My favorite action in games! :)

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■