blablabla

};

}:

So when I try this inside a function or whatever in board.cpp:

Pieces[0].move();

it will use the Piece move() not the Knight's move(). Anyone understand why? :S

Generally what you do is:

Piece* p = new Knight();

p->Move(); // this would call the Knight's Move() method. You would do this because you want a list of Piece objects, but you want a common method to call child methods of the same name because they'll act differently.

You chess example is a perfect example of this. You have the parent Piece which has a virtual Move() function. I would make Piece Move() a pure virtual (virtual void Move() = 0). You would want this because you wouldn't want a Piece object to be created. Instead you want it's children to be created. There is no such thing as a generic piece. It has to a specific piece (child).

So in closing

class Piece
{
public:
  virtual void Move()=0;
};

class Knight : public Piece
{
public:
  virtual void Move() {}
};

Piece* p = new Knight();

p->Move();

Ideally you will create a list or vector of Piece pointers like:

list<Piece*> p;

p.push_back(new Knight());

I almost agree with Rick:

Putting a method virtual means you are overriding it somewhere. You are inheriting from piece, and overriding the method Move in that class. But you don't want to inherited from Knight, so you won't override the method again, so don't make it virtual.

Me, reading the code from Rick, am thinking you are going to override Move again in an inherited class from Piece.

Behind the screens this method will be virtual, but don't mind that. Try to code what you mean.

Behind the screens this method will be virtual, but don't mind that. Try to code what you mean.

That's generally why I just always put virtual on the child functions. Like you said in this example he wouldn't derive and override Knight:Move(), but I generally do that do I know when looking at Knight that this function is virtual and most likely the parent one is also.

That's generally why I just always put virtual on the child functions. Like you said in this example he wouldn't derive and override Knight:Move(), but I generally do that do I know when looking at Knight that this function is virtual and most likely the parent one is also.

I agree with TheoLogic; no point in creating more virtual function tables than necessary. Just make a comment if you want to know it is a virtual function.

*edit*

Misspelled TheoLogic's name.

Windows 7 64-bit

nVidia 9800M GS

4 GB RAM

Intel Core 2Duo, P8600 @ 2.4GHz

I agree with TheoLogic; no point in creating more virtual function tables than necessary. Just make a comment if you want to know it is a virtual function.

It doesn't matter because it's virtual anyway. So really by not putting virtual on child classes I think it just hides the fact that this overrides a base class method.

The below code will call MyKnights::Move() over though I don't have virtual on the Move() functions for Knight or MyKnight. No need in hiding this fact by not putting virtual.

class Piece
{
public:
virtual void Move()=0;
};

class Knight : public Piece
{
public:
void Move()
{
}
};

class MyKnight : public Knight
{
public:
void Move()
{// this is
}
};

int main()
{
Piece* p = new MyKnight();

p->Move();

return 0;
}

I would do it like this:

#include <iostream>
#include <vector>
using namespace std;

enum PieceType {Knight,King};

string GetPieceTypeName(PieceType t)
{
switch(t)
{
	case Knight: return "Knight"; break;
	case King  : return "King"; break;
	default: return "Piece"; break;
}
}

class Piece
{
PieceType type;
public:
void SetType(PieceType t)
{
	type=t;		
}
PieceType GetType()
{
	return type;
}
void Move()
{
	cout << GetPieceTypeName(GetType()).c_str() << " moved." << endl;
}
};

int main()
{
vector<Piece> piece;
Piece newitem;

newitem.SetType(Knight);
piece.push_back(newitem);

newitem.SetType(King);
piece.push_back(newitem);

piece.at(0).Move();
piece.at(1).Move();

return 0;
}

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

@Rick: Depends on how the team's coding standards are. I'm working with type what you mean, but this is only one of bjarne stroustrup's C++ coding standards points.

And I agree, use stl containers for data handling. (vector > list) Use vector to iterate with algorithms, use map for searching (binary tree).

Right, but behind the scenes this is what's happening. It's not like you are saving storage space or anything by not putting virtual in front of the child overloaded function.

It doesn't matter because it's virtual anyway. So really by not putting virtual on child classes I think it just hides the fact that this overrides a base class method.

The below code will call MyKnights::Move() over though I don't have virtual on the Move() functions for Knight or MyKnight. No need in hiding this fact by not putting virtual.

I did not know this! Good to know! :D

Windows 7 64-bit

nVidia 9800M GS

4 GB RAM

Intel Core 2Duo, P8600 @ 2.4GHz