[SOLVED] Problems with EntityPick after version 2.31

Pixel Perfect

I've been using version 2.31 to develop my engine as I found it to be a very stable version and I had a lot of code to write. Now I'm looking to move to 2.42 to take advantage of some of the later features. Having initially tried 2.32 I seem to have an issue with my destructible objects which I've managed to track down to the EntityPick call. This is the same still in 2.42 and it appears to only pick the models if I'm right next to them, any distance away and it fails to return the model even though there is nothing in between and regardless of any range value setting in the parameters.

Can anyone else confirm if this is an issue for them. Works perfectly in 2.31 but not in any of the later versions.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Looks like the function is returning entities which are not children of the target model, so quite what they are I'm not sure at the moment. I'll replace with CameraPick, which is working fine, tonight and see if that fixes it.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Morning Ian, I had "similar" issues with picks and hierarchy when moving from 2.31 to 2.32 last May.

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/1966-232-and-pickfilter-problems/

Some of these (or maybe all) seem to have disapeared in later versions and I was able to reconstruct the code surrounding custom filters and picks to get it working again (the base on which Furious Frank was built). It may pay, just a thought, to move simply to the latest version?

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Thanks MG, yes indeed I'd forgotten your woes of that time as I see I partly contributed to that thread. I agree with your recommendation to move to the latest version, which I did last night. The issues on the whole seem fairly small as I ran through most of my engines functionality and it's just this one picking mechanism I'm using that is exhibiting problems along with a small issue with coronas. However, the pick problem is pretty fundamental! In the case of EntityPick I'm not using custom filters but simply running it with the collisionType set to 0 and then submitting the picked entity (essentially whatever it hits first) to a function to return the top most parent (or itself if there is no further hierarchy). I do use filters with some of my CameraPick calls and as far as I'm aware so far they are still working correctly.

In the situation I'm using it I can substitute in a call to CameraPick easily and if that works then I'll simply run with that. If not then I'll have to examine my code some more and just check it's not me doing something daft :)

It's returning the camera or rather a sub face of the camera. Even CameraPick is returning the camera. Now I'm totally confused. Why would CameraPick pick itself? :)

Or ... have i got something parented to the camera that it's colliding with and subsequently resolving itself to the camera as a result of the heirarchy. But then, why would that not have been an issue before 2.32?

The only thing listed in the vesion changes for 2.32 to do with picks is:

Eliminated unnecessary pick filter calls

It's the animated weapon meshes. I have them parented to the camera and for some reason up to and including 2.31 these never got picked. Now they clearly are being so I guess I need to filter these out using a pick filter routine. Phew ... glad that one's resolved!