Getting vegetation layer position information

njord

Hello guys. When creating a terrain in Editor, we can add trees and other vegetation either by "drag and drop" or "vegetation layer tool". Of course adding trees with "drag and drop" is so exhausting and sometimes impossible for large terrains.

The thing is, we use leadwerks for visualisation, "nvidia physx" as the physics engine in our simulator. So we need to create collision boxes and place them on the correct positions in the physics world manually. We implemented a simple program to create a physx mesh file (.sbx file that includes a terrain -> .obj file) from terrain heightfield so we can drive vehicles on a Leadwerks terrain. But when trees placed with the veg tool, I cannot retrieve their positions and orientations, so i cannot create and place collision meshes around. The ori and pos information are stored in the .dat files as Josh said (before the forum breakdown). But how can I read or retrieve them ? They are binary!

Thanks in advance.

PS : If you have any completely other ideas on creating collision boxes for leadwerks terrain objects, please share.

• 2 weeks later...

Vegetation data is a flat file format, each 64 bytes would be the 4x4 matrix from GetEntityMatrix(), place one veg item, save, and you should have a 64 byte file containing the matrix for that vegetation entity.

You'll have to find some way of sorting the data spatially, I'm not sure the saved veg.dat files are grouped in any particular way.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo