Need c# Wrapper

ViperMT

• 3 weeks later...

I think I pretty much made my mind that I won't pursue any other community effort for C# (Leadwerks .NET) in LE 2. We'll see if Josh is interested for it in LE 3. I'm tired of fighting communities and rollbacks without any support.

I think I pretty much made my mind that I won't pursue any other community effort for C# (Leadwerks .NET) in LE 2.

Well that helps me decide betwen LE.Net and Leadwerks.Net. One less thing out of 938 I have to figure out. ;-)

Seriously though, I had pretty much decided that I would be writing my own OO layer given the upcoming changes for LE3.

Lazlo, in your experience implementing and working with Leadwerks.Net, what kind of PInvoke perf hit were you seeing when using LE.Net? Were there certain api's that became problematic?

In my experience with C#, when PInvoking an API design that results in many frequent API calls to fast functions can result in huge perf problems due to the invocation overhead. For example, math library invocations, coordinate transforms, etc. Doing them in a deep, tight loop can really slow things down. Did you run into this kind of problem, which required you to reimplement some of LE on th managed side to avoid the bottlenecks? Or worse, run into any such scnearios that you weren't able to workaround?

Any pointers or best practices or pitfalls worth mentioning? Other than GC woes?

If there are already such posts, please just link them here, and once I purchase I'll be able to read them.

Thanks,

Rhino

Well that helps me decide betwen LE.Net and Leadwerks.Net. One less thing out of 938 I have to figure out. ;-)

Seriously though, I had pretty much decided that I would be writing my own OO layer given the upcoming changes for LE3.

Lazlo, in your experience implementing and working with Leadwerks.Net, what kind of PInvoke perf hit were you seeing when using LE.Net? Were there certain api's that became problematic?

In my experience with C#, when PInvoking an API design that results in many frequent API calls to fast functions can result in huge perf problems due to the invocation overhead. For example, math library invocations, coordinate transforms, etc. Doing them in a deep, tight loop can really slow things down. Did you run into this kind of problem, which required you to reimplement some of LE on th managed side to avoid the bottlenecks? Or worse, run into any such scnearios that you weren't able to workaround?

Any pointers or best practices or pitfalls worth mentioning? Other than GC woes?

If there are already such posts, please just link them here, and once I purchase I'll be able to read them.

Thanks,

Rhino

I could give you the SVN address with the latest source and binaries (DLL) if you want. The performance was near perfect, I saw no problem at all. The syntax is much better than that of any other language, but that's in my very own biased (but not humble) opinion. I intended to try to write a OO layer and possibly even an official one if Josh ever settles in on the idea, but go ahead if you wish to do so yourself. Leadwerks .NET was a very long design process.

• 1 month later...

Lazlo's Leadwerks.NET framework that is built on top of LE.NET

It is not built on top of LE.Net, but a different OOP structure that follows the common practices of .Net developers. It includes events, inheritance, and other .Net features that Josh's API doesn't support with the vanilla libraries.

I appreciate ZioRed for offering the library as an alternative solution.

I'm tired of fighting communities and rollbacks without any support.

I will support Leadwerks.Net until 2013, or until LE3 adds a C# library. Even then I would still build an OOP library with an entity structure that's not based on the legacy TEntity objects . Hell, even LUA supports inheritance.

It's time for me to get back to my project. Is there any updates in headers? SVN is protected now. Anonymous access doesn't work.

Can you give me one Lazlo?

As Raz pointed out, look at the pinned thread in the C# forums. How to use it can be found HERE