Video tutorial #10. Character controllers with Lua.

AggrorJorn

Since college started again I didn't have much time to spend on Leadwerks nor making new tutorials about Lua. But here is a little something for that in return: A video tutorial which has a time lenght of over 1 hour!!!

This video tutorial explains how to create character controllers in your Lua program. The tutorial will explain the following:

•  
  • Creating a character controller.
  • First person view.
  • Jumping and crouching.
  • Camera smoothing.
  • Camera angles.
  • Third person view.

-- PDF will be added soon.

http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?/page/resources/_/programming/lua/9-creating-a-character-controller-with-lua-r49

not bad... some suggestions to fix or clarify in the pdf version:

• This line is not doing anything since camera is not a Vec3 value
    controller:SetPosition(camera)

• This line is not needed because the relationship is already being set by the standard collisions.lua file that is ran at the start of the program since its in the scripts/start folder
    Collisions(COLLISION_CHARACTER,COLLISION_SCENE,1)

• These lines are not doing anything... I assume they were supposed to be the initial settings for 'gx' & 'gy'
    dx=0.0
    dy=0.0

• The 5th parameter for the controller update is maxacceleration, not smoothing. It determines how quickly the controller will accelerate in movement. When starting to move, it controls how quickly it will get to maximum speed. When you stop, it controls how fast you slow down. So a higher maxacceleration value will make you slow down quicker and remove the 'ice-skating' effect.

still all in all, a decent guide to help beginners use controllers in lua. good job.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Very good feedback macklebee.

1. That is correct.
  2. Didn't know that. :)
  3. they were indeed intended for the camera movement. but they can be removed .
  4. Ah darn it. I must have confused this with the previous parameter. I did get the name of the parameter right though :lol:

I will adjust them in the pdf and add some comments on youtube.