Editor, lua and other confusions...

Chiblue

I seem to be getting myself confused on using Lua and Editor in a meaningful way to develop levels for my project...

So I have a couple of questions about this that seem to dog me everytime I try to work through them...

Using object and resources in editor and then distributing the level... Strategy?

1. Should I use a general set of models, images and scripts and then build my level, when complete just pull out what is needed by the level to distribute it, this is the easiest for creating but presents some challenges when distributing the level to use in my game, I don't want to put everything in the map forlder....

2. alternatively... should I build a new set of folders and then copy the editor to that location set the paths and then just add the resources I need for that project...

I see ups and downs in both approaches so I would be interested in how others more expereinced deal with this??

My second question is relating to lua scripts and associated objects...

In my game I have weapons and characters, these are defined using a lua class, but I want these to remain static, i.e. whenever I add a weapon to a level I don't want it to be changeable, I don't want to be able to change this for each level I want the settings to be static and always be based on a master configuration... how can I do this?

Sorry for adding multiple questions to the same post but I believe they are connected as the solution to one will impact the other...

If it's not Tactical realism then you are just playing..

A lot of the class scripts that I make are level specific. They are all organised in a folder with the same level name. If it would occur that objects need to be in multiple levels, I copy the gmf, lua and phy file and rename them. The texture can still remain in the first model. This way I can keep objects separated for each level.

I prefer to mantain Maps and Models in separated folders to avoid a waste of unrequired space when many objects are present in more levels.

For the technical question, if you really don't need them to change why don't turn your properties into variables (or better constant in an external .lua to include in any model you need, like the .lua in the Scripts/Constants folder)?

?? FRANCESCO CROCETTI ??

http://skaredcreations.com