Leadwerks Engine - Some questions and concerns

RevenantBob

We've been considering using Leadwerks as an engine base for a project. We've looked at quite a few engines and this one has a lot of features that are wonderful, including the editor.

A few questions and concerns I have based on what we've discovered after we licensed the engine to tinker with.

Is it possible to get the source code? This would make most of this moot since we could simply plug the features in that we'd like the engine to have.

- Is there a way within the engine to get notifications of windows messages? These are required for subsystems being written, such as custom input.

- Is there a way to disable the input system? The poll method versus event method isn't optimal for the UI subsystem we've written.

- Is there a way to load worlds without the need for a graphics pipeline for use with dedicated servers and such?

Some suggested features

- Per vertex color blending on Terrain. This can yield better visual quality when used on maps as you can tint the terrain without using separate textures. Consider the idea of darkened terrain to make an area look soggy, or burned ground that has blackened hues.

- More than one instance of terrains. This could allow for world streaming by unloading and loading terrains on the fly.

+1 for both suggestions.

As of your concerns, they can be solved by getting the source code, which is a separate, more expensive license.

The main Leadwerks developer is currently unavailable, but he will surely address your concerns when he gets back.

- Is there a way within the engine to get notifications of windows messages? These are required for subsystems being written, such as custom input.

A custom buffer allows you to create the window and handle messages yourself.

- Is there a way to disable the input system? The poll method versus event method isn't optimal for the UI subsystem we've written.

Creating your own window and a custom buffer bypasses the mouse and key input.

- Is there a way to load worlds without the need for a graphics pipeline for use with dedicated servers and such?

Not at this time. Version 3 will support a no-graphics renderer.

- Per vertex color blending on Terrain. This can yield better visual quality when used on maps as you can tint the terrain without using separate textures. Consider the idea of darkened terrain to make an area look soggy, or burned ground that has blackened hues.

You can load a background texture and adjust the blend level of each layer. Using a color array in the vertices wouldn't be good because the appearance would change with the LOD level changes.

This has been resolved in the actual SDK already. Do you actually have a licensed version or are you using the Evaluation Demo?

I had a demo before, but I hadn't checked in the 2.4 licensed ver. My bad if that question was off, I'm mostly helping to design a plan of what's possible and what's not in the engine for this write up.

no problem, i was asking because you had stated above that you had licensed the engine and then you were asking about a bug that was fixed in an earlier version. I don't believe the demo is current with alot of the fixes. Also, if you are a licensed SDK owner then you should asked for forum access by following the steps lined out here. you are missing out on alot of good info thats located in the SDK owners' forums.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel