A downgraded version of LE

niv3k

I was wondering how could i make the LE turn out to be something like the source editor, farcry 2 editor, crysis editor and so on?

so i can allow people that purchase my game have the ability to create their own maps or mods?

thanks,

Kevin.

I think the only way within the EULA would be to make a simple hardcoded editor for your game yourself, which is on purpose restricted to be usable with your game only. If you make it too universal, you might violate the EULA. To restrict it, you should really hardcode a lot of game specific stuff, and also make checks that the game is properly installed and licensed.

What the EULA basically says is that nobody is allowed to use LE or even parts of it if they don't have the LE license.

Your game written with LE can do anything, as long it does not use parts of LE, but only your own assets and code. And especially that your game or its editor can not be used to make new games.

Your game could theoretically also need LE, which is a very rare and special situation. But then everyone playing the game would need to buy LE too. That kind of need could raise for game masters and wizards in a MUD style game.

In any case, I would consult Josh and let him review your game before you publish it.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

• 1 month later...

yeah thats what i was thinking...or like other editors, you're allowed to make your own models and use em in your own map.

I read this all with interest, it would be very helpful if we had the ability via the licensing to do one of the following options..

1. Distribute a locked down editor with a game, this is a version of the editor that is locked to using specific assets..

2. Provide a seperate license for the editor so anyone wishing to build levels/maps for the game can simply buy a license from Leadwerks, rather than having to buy the entire $250+ license, they can buy the editor like 3DWS license.

The problem I have is that I have several guys that are outstanding at level/map design (unlike me lol) who have been testing my game but hate the levels I have (built just to test the mechanics of my code) and would like to build some levels for the game to use with it. But are reluctant to pay $250 to be able to do this...

Any suggestions on ways to get around this.... as the editor and the lua scripts you build are a fundamental part of the mechanics having the ability to allow gamers to build or customize your levels would be a major benefit..

If it's not Tactical realism then you are just playing..