Conventions for Animation

Pancakes

Hello guys! Thanks to Aggror's tutorials I can actually do stuff inside the editor!~ (I still haven't gotten over the fact that I can actually use Leadwerks now :) )

Okay at this point I will begin animating characters pretty soon and before I begin rigging I'd like to know what are the rules of thumb for Leadwerks 2.31?

If any of you are animators or have animators on your team it would be very helpful if you could answer the following questions because the only game engine I've used animations in before was Blender Game Engine and as you know in Blender you can simply animate your model and then press the Play Game button and it works. I'm not used to importing animations across multiple file types:

1. I will be using IK solvers to assist me in my animation attempts. How exactly does that work in Leadwerks? Do I need to import the IK (solver) bones or just the bones with weight painting to them? In blender this is handled automatically so I could use a hint.

2. Also, how many bones do you recommend. My character triangle counts will be about 3-5k each. Texture res will probably be multiple 1k maps with the occasional 2k map. So how many bones before performance gets hit hard for a middle of the road performance PC?

That's about it for now.

Thanks for any help!

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

1. I will be using IK solvers to assist me in my animation attempts. How exactly does that work in Leadwerks? Do I need to import the IK (solver) bones or just the bones with weight painting to them? In blender this is handled automatically so I could use a hint.

There is no support of IK in Leadwerks so I'd guess there would only be any point in exporting the weighted bones as your animation package should have taken care of the IK bit for you.

Also, how many bones do you recommend. My character triangle counts will be about 3-5k each. Texture res will probably be multiple 1k maps with the occasional 2k map. So how many bones before performance gets hit hard for a middle of the road performance PC?

Leadwerks supports up to 256 bones now and the skeletal animation is handled by the GPU on the graphics card so shouldn't effect the performance too much. I must admit I've not tried anything with more than about 90 bones myself. Your poly count sounds about right for lower end hardware.

Look forward to seeing some of your animated work!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

It was either Chris Paulson or Roland, and myself, who implemented a system in C++ for inverse kinematics for Leadwerks. The code has to be around here somewhere...

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

Here it is:

http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?/blog/19/entry-94-ik-animation/

I attached the Vector3 and Quaternion classes to this post. They are from my somewhat abandoned OpenGL 3.0 engine.

synergy.zip

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

Hi,

I'm still working away on this sort of stuff in the background. I've not posted anything about it because I've not made lots of progress until recently.

I'm hoping if I succeed to put a video together on this in about a months time and I'll release all my code.

There should be some nice blended animation and foot placement stuff in it. I've done the blend trees I just need to incorporate it into my overall game system then do the IK foot placement.

I've got a blend system that will blend and play:-

idle, walk/run, walk left/right, crouch walk/run, crouch left/right all at the same time depending on speed/angle/crouch factor.