Some beginner questions

shadmar

Hi and first of all just a beginner in LE, and the engine is so far the best you can get for $200 in my humble opinion.

I bought it mainly because of the lua script possibilties and I've written some mods for WoW in the past.

I understand that the documentation isn't complete for LUA but I'm currently just translating the C++ functions as it's almot equal.

So my little question is, how do I render in wireframe (I'm not using the editor) ?

Here is what I tried :

--terrain
terrain=CreateTerrain( 512 ) 
TerrainDetail( 10 ) 
--terrain:SetPosition(Vec3(3000,0,0)) -- this doesn't work ?

WireFrame(1) -- does not seem to work here

--Create the main loop 
while AppTerminate()==0 do 
cube:Turn(Vec3(0.1,0.1,0.1)) 
mesh3:Turn(Vec3(0.1,0.1,0.1)) 
WireFrame(1) -- or here
fw:Update() 
fw:Render() 
Flip(0) 
end 

Thanks! :)

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

fw.renderer:SetWireFrame(1)

WireFrame is the core engine command (same as Wireframe in C++), which is reset on each frame when using Framework.

SetWireframe is a command to tell Framework to use your own wireframe mode for each frame.

However, it works only on the main world, so models in the transparency world are still rendered without wireframe, which is a bug, and should be fixed soon.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

fw.renderer:SetWireFrame(1)

WireFrame is the core engine command (same as Wireframe in C++), which is reset on each frame when using Framework.

SetWireframe is a command to tell Framework to use your own wireframe mode for each frame.

However, it works only on the main world, so models in the transparency world are still rendered without wireframe, which is a bug, and should be fixed soon.

Thank you. It works.

How I can tell the difference of core engine commands and what's framework commandset ?

It doesn't really matter which is a core and which a Framework command, this happens to be the only command which exists on both, and also the only command which does not work when using Framework, unless using the Framework version of the command.

It doesn't really matter which is a core and which a Framework command, this happens to be the only command which exists on both, and also the only command which does not work when using Framework, unless using the Framework version of the command.

Just my luck then bumping into the only one. :blink:

Anyway thank you for the swift response.

I noticed the terrain isn't moveable, I think I read somewhere that it's not supported.

Too bad, such a powerful quadtree-based terrain like that should be.

Terrain is not movable, but depending how fast you want to move, you can either just create a new terrain or move the camera instead, and load a new scene when the zone border is close enough. Of course you can also use models to create a terrain, which gives you a real 3D terrain, but is more work to draw.

That is not what I'm looking for, but thanks.

I'll just see how far I get, LE seems to have very extensive commandset and full access to vertices, so I'll se how far I get.

But in the meantime I'll try getting myself tutorialized in the basics.

So far impressive SDK. :blink:

Thank you for your time.

Shad.

Guest Red Ocktober

hey shad... what're ya doin on this end of the universe... got bored with 3DRAD already?

you made some really nice stuff over there... the terrain editor was great... and i liked your infinite terain flythru demo...

i think you'll have some real fun over here... leadwerks has better graphics capabilities with less pain than the shader implementation you're used to with RAD...

--Mike

hey shad... what're ya doin on this end of the universe... got bored with 3DRAD already?

you made some really nice stuff over there... the terrain editor was great... and i liked your infinite terain flythru demo...

i think you'll have some real fun over here... leadwerks has better graphics capabilities with less pain than the shader implementation you're used to with RAD...

--Mike

3dRad is still great, but physx-integration seems to be the main focus atm, after I got the hang of HLSL I'm more the shader and vertex type.. So I'm starting out fresh here, got myself a lua quadtree and playing around with vertices and LOD. I also might have a look at LE's GLSL shaders some time.

Infinite terrain is still on my todo, maybe in LE or 3impact. Too hard in 3drad since I can't displace vertices (except for displacing in the vertex shader via HLSL).

I must admit LE does shadows/lightning very easy/automagic, and the API is so far working out for me.

I've been snooping around the forum abit and I find your gameobjects to be a very interesting concept.

How's that sub game coming along by the way ? :lol:

Shad

Guest Red Ocktober

sub game is still "coming"... :D (see 3DRAD version in the first 2 attached images below)...

but believe it or not, i just spent the last 2 (or 3, time goes by so quickly) days working up a plugin-able, ready to fly light airplane for 3D RAD... (see last 4 attached pics below)...

i've still gotta finish the skinning and the control surfaces need to be added and tweaked... but the flight model is done... the doors open and close... engine start and stop logic in... and you can change seats...

there's also a ground cam view and an external orbiting view...

as for the Gameobjects thingee... it seems to be working perfectly... i've just gotta finish the "user-friendlier" before it's released for abuse... :)

there is a red light blinking in back of my head though... something that may come up to bite me later on... i usually separate the screen refresh logic from the game logic, but in this case i'm using the flip event to update all objects...

hhhhmmmmm.... :lol:

anyways... it seems to be working so far... would like a fixed framerate though... (i'm looking at that now)...

anyways... good to see you over here...

--Mike

post-65-094509600 1278761382_thumb.jpg

post-65-056931600 1278761411_thumb.jpg

post-65-090380400 1278761685_thumb.jpg

post-65-029755600 1278761708_thumb.jpg

post-65-008275400 1278761720_thumb.jpg

post-65-003990700 1278761733_thumb.jpg

Guest Red Ocktober

thx Shad...

honestly though... don't look too closely or you'll see how bad they actually are... :)

anyways....

below are a few of the plane flying around at night... a few more pieces added... flaps now working... control yoke and instruments get finished tommorrow...

--Mike

post-65-024379000 1278898779_thumb.jpg

post-65-036663300 1278898833_thumb.jpg

Well I don't expect rad being able to produce same eyecandy as LE.

But for rad, great :)

You should also try the E300 plane F released as a plugin, very responsive and destructable on impact.

This thread is now very offtopic... sorry