programming: LUA or Blitzmax?

Alessandro

Hello,

I red some topics in this forum, and I must admit I'm confused for the programming language.

I'm a single developer, I'm a programmer, and I don't want to spend time with C++ (and I don't want to learn C#), so please can you tell me if I need to use LUA or Blitzmax?

It seems both of them are going on, but it seems bmx is not so updated. Since I need to start the game just now, please can you give me a guideline/suggestions about it?

I have no problem to make programs in LUA or Blitzmax, so the problem is only "phylosofic": will be supported in the future both the languages?

About documentation: is it good both for LUA and BMX?

Please help me!

Thank you!

Program in the language you like most.

The documentation and engine commands are the same for all languages.

Thank you, and for the future? Can you definitively tell me that both of them will be supported? Or maybe I risk that will be "closed" to give priority to C# or C++?

All languages will be always supported. The most popular languages like C/C++, C#, BlitzMax, Lua, Delphi/Object Pascal, have also ready-to-use headers, for other languages you need to write them yourself, or write a converter which does it automatically each time the C/C++ headers change.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Both perform as well. The difference between languages is usually in nanosecond range, while the engine's graphical rendering is in millisecond range, for example 17 milliseconds per frame would result in 60 FPS (60 frames per second, 1 second = 1000ms, 1000ms / 60 = 17ms).

Only when you do some heavy advanced stuff like AI pathfinding, you might find some remarkable differences between those languages even in seconds range. However in Lua (and in BlitzMax of course too) you can then use a external DLL written in C++, and it's faster again.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I don't have any experience with Bmax but what I have heard around the web and werkspace is pretty good. The Leadwerks command set is very straight forward and the difference is very small between the 2. (based on wiki examples that is).

I personally choose for Lua since the editor also works with Lua. that means I can stay with the same language for the actual game as wel as per object scripting.