Video Tutorial: Modeling a Tree

Pancakes

This is a video of me modeling a rather basic tree. Hopefully it can be helpful to a programmer or someone like that who was intimidated before about modeling to see that there are things that anyone can do in terms of modeling. Hopefully this can give you a bit more self empowerment in your project.

In other words, vehicles and architecture and characters, maybe you might want to purchase those from online. But vegetation, perhaps you can begin making your own sometime.

Vid:

Note: If you follow the captions you will see that I kept saying you can cut new edgeloops with ctrl+P...really I mean to say ctrl+R. It was late ;)

Also I would talk but I have no mic. So I just use captions in this.

Fullscreen or you wont' be able to see it I don't think.

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

ok thanks,

my internet handle, Kay, is my girl's name. I changed it to Pancakes (which is MY nick name) when we stopped seeing each other, I was too lazy to make a new Vimeo account.

Funny thing is that if I do a texture your tree tutorial, it will involve 3dCoat as well.

Thanks for this! I'm just starting to learn 3d modelling (i'm a one man band, so have no choice) .. I'm using blender and sketch-up at home (cause it's free) and 3dmax/zbrush at work (cause it's installed on our work machines), .. the biggest obstacle so far being the horrible obscure non-intuitive user interfaces (also blender, but mainly 3dsmax - the king of bad UI design)

Anyway your video has motivated me to try and learn blender a little more, just wish you'd do texturing as well!

P.S.: may i suggest for your next tut that you put the captions bellow the video and use the same size and position for all of them, i think it would be easier to follow along,

well that settles it I will do a texture tutorial. :)

The thing is there is more than one way to do this. Hmm... I usually use 3dCoat for textures. Then there is an easy, yet, unrecommended way of texturing in blender. Easy way is to UV unwrap, and then paste an image into the UV map. This would get the job done for a while but you'd soon start to look for more techniques to use.

Then there are Stencils, more which are more involved, kind of simple, but restrictive inside of blender.

Next there is Nodes painting, sort of unique to blender I think. And it is my preferred blender method. But since it's unique to blender you couldn't just look at it and then try it in another program very easily.

Blender also has projection painting. But I do not advocate this method as it's effectiveness relies heavily on the quality of the texture. I think nodes are better because even less than optimal textures can be combined to make a high quality texture for your model. But nodes are also pretty technical.

Much to think about.

i wouldn't mind seeing you'r workflow with 3dcoat, as i'm currently trying out different solutions for my 3d content creation .. somewhat ideal way to texture for me would be something like in zbrush where you paint with different brushes with textures and alphas on the model and then i could save that as a unwraped diffuse texture and do some final touch-ups in photoshop