Character Controller Limits

martyj

I'm having CPU problems with Leadwerks in that when I use a bunch of Character Controllers for AI (Around 130) the game lags really bad.

What can I do performance wise to allow me to have a few thousand Character Controllers at once?

My render time is about 19-21.
Update time is around 520
Batch Size: Around 580

Running through a profiler NewtonDynamicsSimulation::Update uses majority of the processing time. CharacterController::AlignToGround is what looks to be like it is using a ton of CPU.

My batch size is about the same with and without the extra Character Controllers.

The responses I've seen before are to use less triangles per character, less bones per character (for example, if you don't need finger bones, don't use them), lower lighting/shadow quality, shorter render distance, etc.  I suspect you already know and probably tried all of these but just throwing these out there.  I think there may also be other threads that discuss optimizations.

Also, some people (I think Jen is one but I could be wrong) are using their own custom character controllers.

Edit: this thread may also help: https://www.leadwerks.com/community/topic/16265-moving-characters-performance/

• Like 1