Back + problem

Raul

Hi all,

For almost 3 months I did not checked the forums because I was having some issues with my new game which will be release in May :)

Now I am back in learning C++ and Leadwerks. I will upgrade my license to 2.3 until the end of the month.

Anyway I reinstalled my OS (now working on x64) and when I wanted to install the SDK I received this errors:

Failed to save file "C:\Program Files\Leadwerks Engine SDK 2.28\Tools/3dw2gmf.exe".

Failed to save file "C:\Program Files\Leadwerks Engine SDK 2.28\Tools/dae2fbx.exe".et

etc

Do you have any idea why is this happening?

BTW, I like the new site.

i5 2.7Ghz, GTS 450, 8GB Ram, Win7 x64; Win8 x64

rvlgames.com - my games

RVL Games Facebook Page, YouTube Channel

Blitzmax :)

"C:\Program Files" is reserved for 64-bit apps on 64-bit Windows.

You should install programs in a completely seperate directory, for example C:\Programs, since also the "C:\Program Files (x86)", which is meant for 32-bit programs, has some problems. What happens is that when a 32-bit program calls "C:\Program Files", then Windows will actually give it "C:\Program Files (x86)", and if the program is not really in "C:\Program Files (x86)", then it gets the wrong path. When using C:\Programs, then Windows doesn't screw around with the directory name at all, and you get what you ask for.

The name "Program Files" is redundant anyway, since what else than files would programs be? Program Folders? I think C:\Programs makes much more sense and doesn't have spaces in the file name, which is also sometimes a problem in Windows.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Hi all,

For almost 3 months I did not checked the forums because I was having some issues with my new game which will be release in May :)

Now I am back in learning C++ and Leadwerks. I will upgrade my license to 2.3 until the end of the month.

Anyway I reinstalled my OS (now working on x64) and when I wanted to install the SDK I received this errors:

Failed to save file "C:\Program Files\Leadwerks Engine SDK 2.28\Tools/3dw2gmf.exe".

Failed to save file "C:\Program Files\Leadwerks Engine SDK 2.28\Tools/dae2fbx.exe".et

etc

Do you have any idea why is this happening?

BTW, I like the new site.

I am not 100% sure, but you might want to check the user permissions for the path that you are attempting to run the updater or copy files to. If you are running Windows 7 then you are not, by default, the administrator. It treats the administrator account kind of like linux treats root. You have to give explicit permissions for any directory outside of your user account's set of directories for the session (for example, C:\Users\YourAccountName).

"C:\Program Files" is reserved for 64-bit apps on 64-bit Windows.

You should install programs in a completely seperate directory, for example C:\Programs, since also the "C:\Program Files (x86)" has some problems.

Ah yeah good point. I didn't mention that in my post and apparently we replied at the same time. lol. Definitely don't want to use C:\Program Files for a 32-bit app.

Derik Wilson

Digital Kingdom Games

---------------------

AMD X3 Phenom II 2.8 GHz, 8 GB DDR2 PC-8500, BFG GeForce GTX 275, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

"I'm not superstitious. I'm just a little stitious." - Michael Scott

"Did anyone violate an indian burial ground or something? Like park on it, or dig up a body?" - Michael Scott