FBX doesn't import properly

thehankinator

Hey guys I have a friend that was nice enough to make me a proper model for my game. He's exported it as FBX and it looks right in UU3D but when I import it to Leadwerks it looks wrong. I tried exporting from UU3D directly to Leadwerks MDL but it has the same problem. In Leadwerks I've assigned all materials that have a texture. Any ideas?

Looking correctly in UU3D:

tWwThfU.png

Looking wrong in Leadwerks:

GEqCLTD.png

extension_coord.fbx

Heya, I'm the guy that made the asset. The multiple uncombined meshes are just me being lazy; the problem is that materials without textures don't import. Here's the same asset as it looks in unity3d:

lBfkJKd.png

In Maya, these are just basic "Phong" materials, and the coloring is mainly on the diffuse channel (some specular for the plug)

If you are referring to vertex colors then the auto conversion doesn't seem to allow for it. But if opened in UU3D and perform 3D Tools>Vertex Colors>Convert..., Select All Materials, and then convert, it will transfer your textureless materials to vertex coloring. Save to MDL with vertex color option checked.

post-14-0-02637100-1479942642_thumb.jpg

Edit - Since LE doesn't really have "phong" materials, you wont get that backlit/rim lighting on the model. You could attempt the "PBR" like shaders/materials in the workshop or try to use the probes to get similar results on a static object. Also, if you want more control over specular, then I would suggest using textures/materials in LE.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

If you are referring to vertex colors then the auto conversion doesn't seem to allow for it. But if opened in UU3D and perform 3D Tools>Vertex Colors>Convert..., Select All Materials, and then convert, it will transfer your textureless materials to vertex coloring. Save to MDL with vertex color option checked.

post-14-0-02637100-1479942642_thumb.jpg

Edit - Since LE doesn't really have "phong" materials, you wont get that backlit/rim lighting on the model. You could attempt the "PBR" like shaders/materials in the workshop or try to use the probes to get similar results on a static object. Also, if you want more control over specular, then I would suggest using textures/materials in LE.

That worked! Thanks mac

I scaled it in UU3D using 3D Tools>Modifiers>Scene>Scale To... before exporting as well. The Model Editor for whatever reason strips vertex coloring with certain options - like Collapse. Since the scaling references are the same in UU3D and I want to avoid parent/child related issues with scaling in LE, I just always use UU3D as a final check for size, UVs, animations, etc prior to saving as MDL.

As for the issues of textureless materials, it doesn't appear the auto conversion knows what to do with that. Granted if its textureless, you can always just convert to vertex coloring or just make an LE material to apply.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel