Unable to import .x files

Dicon

I am unable to import .x files.

The input file list can input

Cartography Shop .csm

Half Life .map

A6 Map .map

and that's it. I looked at the plugins list and the dll is there, but not being called

Any sugestions on what to do please?

Dicon

Oops!

Sorry that should read A6 Map .wmp

Dicon

Create a folder called X in the models folder and put your .x files in it. Then use the object catagory on the right hand side (where you set primitives ect. and entities)

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Create a folder called X in the models folder and put your .x files in it. Then use the object catagory on the right hand side (where you set primitives ect. and entities)

Well, that did work. Unfortunately they are extramly small and even up close and with the smallest grid, they cannot be worked on. If I grab the re-sizing mark, the whole mesh moves away off screen by several times its own length.

I can inport 3ds into Dark Basic OK, but non of the materials goes with it. The program is saved into a folder with the mesh and textures and materials used.

As you can see, I really am trying to get started importing meshes into 3D World using either Blender or 3D Studio. With their materials with them. .X would be the best for me, if there is a way to increase the size of the mesh

Thanks

I'd open them in Blender or some other 3D Modelling app and rescale them before importing into 3DWS.

With regard to the textures, just a silly question but you are using texture formats that DB Pro supports as if the level file references the texture files and they are in the folder they should be loaded. The .stf format textures provided with 3DWS are a unique format to 3DWS and virtually no other application in the World supports them.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I'd open them in Blender or some other 3D Modelling app and rescale them before importing into 3DWS.

With regard to the textures, just a silly question but you are using texture formats that DB Pro supports as if the level file references the texture files and they are in the folder they should be loaded. The .stf format textures provided with 3DWS are a unique format to 3DWS and virtually no other application in the World supports them.

Thanks, but, as I am getting better at 3d World, I will stick with that for a while. The results look good as I have used Blender to create material, lighting and bumpmapping and then apply them onto the meshes in 3D World. But, I am unsure about the "Lock Texture", If I create a long mesh and map a stripe down the length of it, when rotated, the stripe stays the same angle, even though I have pressed the "Lock Texture button". The image of the button shows a faint outline around it which must mean either on or off. I have tried several tests and when rotated the mesh is moved.

I seem to be getting more sure of what's where but these few things are holding me up.

Thanks for all your previous assistance too.

Dicon

hmmmm ... I can't get it to lock the texture either when rotating. Either it's a bug or we are both missing something!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Thanks Pixel Perfect, you have no idea how relived I was to read this. I have been bashing away for over six hours today setting up a medieval town and the non-mapping is not helping. I can "fudge it", by making a lot of textures for each direction, but it is a fudge and does not really make the finished product ( my folio ) look professional. I will keep on with the bitmaps and hope that the people who could fix it have not moved on to better things.

Thanks

Dicon

Well I'm hoping someone will post a solution to this or point out where we are going wrong as 3DWS has not been supported for a while now as Leadwerks is a one man company and he moved onto the Leadwerks Engine project which has pretty much occupied his time ever since.

To be honest if I have anything more complex than a really simple texture mapping to do I do it in a proper UV mapping tool like Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro which is why I have probably never noticed this before. It's not expensive and is very powerful although there are plenty of other good UV mapping apps or modelling apps with UV mapping capability around too. The original LithUnwrap is freeware and is still a capable UV mapper once you get used to it, so if your pushed for cash that's always an option. 3DWS is nice for generating CSG models though and putting your levels together.

When the Texture Lock icon is pushed down, all textures will move with the brushes you move.

When it's up, all textures will stay in place when you move brushes.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I agree with that and can see that in action, but what I think Dicon is referring to and certainly what I'm seeing is that if you apply a texture with a vertical line to a face and then rotate the model 90 degrees on the z axis the line remains vertical rather than moving with the face and becoming horizontal, whether the texture is locked or not. In other words the texture is not being rotated with the face its mapped to.

The help file does state the following:

Texture Lock

When enabled, texture lock will lock solids' texture mapping in place when they are moved or rotated.

I agree with that and can see that in action, but what I think Dicon is referring to and certainly what I'm seeing is that if you apply a texture with a vertical line to a face and then rotate the model 90 degrees on the z axis the line remains vertical rather than moving with the face and becoming horizontal, whether the texture is locked or not. In other words the texture is not being rotated with the face its mapped to.

The help file does state the following:

I made a group of boxes and built them into a medieval house. The material was mapped on with "fit". When the mesh was rotated so I could do the other sides, the other images shifted on the boxes, either when grouped or no. The same with the the textures grouped or no. The button to lock is very vauge, but as I have tried every thing I must admit defeat and admit that the last few days a waste of time and money. A pity, it could have been a good bit of kit.

Whether I will buy the new Engine and Blitz max to use it, I don't know. Perhaps I will wait and see what other people think about Leadwerks products.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Dicon

Well I'm hoping someone will post a solution to this or point out where we are going wrong as 3DWS has not been supported for a while now as Leadwerks is a one man company and he moved onto the Leadwerks Engine project which has pretty much occupied his time ever since.

To be honest if I have anything more complex than a really simple texture mapping to do I do it in a proper UV mapping tool like Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro which is why I have probably never noticed this before. It's not expensive and is very powerful although there are plenty of other good UV mapping apps or modelling apps with UV mapping capability around too. The original LithUnwrap is freeware and is still a capable UV mapper once you get used to it, so if your pushed for cash that's always an option. 3DWS is nice for generating CSG models though and putting your levels together.

Well, I have given up on 3D World and bought on-line ( not delivered electronicaly yet ) The Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro.

On your recomendation.

It looks promising and if it does do what it says " on the box" it will be the tool of choice along with my trusty Blitz Basic to get started on my folio.

Thanks all.

Dicon

I use 3D World Studio, Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro and Blender for all 3D modelling needs I have.

Although I really haven't needed Blender yet, but it has some features which I will need when doing more advanced 3D work.

Even if I would use Blender more, I would still start with 3D World Studio to make the base modelling there, and then use Blender to add some more details to the models.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I use 3D World Studio, Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro and Blender for all 3D modelling needs I have.

Although I really haven't needed Blender yet, but it has some features which I will need when doing more advanced 3D work.

Even if I would use Blender more, I would still start with 3D World Studio to make the base modelling there, and then use Blender to add some more details to the models.

Well Lumooja, I now have Ultimate 3d Pro up and running. It does what it says on the box, so I will have a happy few day ahead now learning about it. It appears I now have all of the kit you have so, with Blender, Ultimate Pro and 3D World Studio I can FINALY get started.

Many thans for all your ( and others ) help and advice.

Dicon