The Hankinator's UI library

thehankinator

Excellent, that's what I needed - thanks!

So with Lua and Leadwerks in general, in order to keep a script 'alive' does it always need to be attached to an element (like a pivot) in the scene? For instance if I wanted to create a script that tabulates what Journal entries the player has selected over the course of the game I would need to attach this 'tabulation.lua' to a something like a pivot - yes?

Excellent, that's what I needed - thanks!

So with Lua and Leadwerks in general, in order to keep a script 'alive' does it always need to be attached to an element (like a pivot) in the scene? For instance if I wanted to create a script that tabulates what Journal entries the player has selected over the course of the game I would need to attach this 'tabulation.lua' to a something like a pivot - yes?

A script that is attached to an element will only stay alive until you call world:Clear() (this is done when you load a new level for instance). For something to persist through loading levels you would probably want to use a global variable to store that information. You can also load scripts in Main.lua, the items in those scripts would be global and would persist through a world:Clear(). This tutorial talks more about global variables. Bare in mind that the Journal script will likely need to be modified to use global variables to track progress through a world:Clear()

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/tutorials/_/variables-r14

Interesting... so all variables, unless declared Local, are Global even between scripts. A little scary IMO but it explains some of my other scripting snafus. Guess I'll have to be more careful on variable naming and scope. Regardless, thanks for all the info - It sheds a lot of light on how Leadwerks and Lua work together!