Occlusion Culling

Olby

Whenever I run the AI and Events map I get a slight stutter and the FPS jumps from 60 to 30 just around the first corner. So I was just wondering if the occlusion culler is actually working at all. Back in the glorious days of BSP maps there was a way to see how the map is culled. So what's the best way to optimise occlusion of my level? Its supposed to be automatic and transparent, however I have my doubts whether it actually works efficiently. I want to see how LE3 occludes brushes that are not supposed to be rendered (one of the most important reasons why I actually got LE3).

I tried Shadmars wireframe material and applied it to all objects in the scene and then took the screenshot below. This is looking straight into the level through a wall, so majority of it should not be rendered at all. The FPS at this point is around 30. With or without the wireframe material I don't see much difference in the frame rate, perhaps it thinks that wire materials are see-through and renders all? Thanks.

post-4357-0-50241900-1415744308_thumb.jpg

[Edit]

Just pulled this out from LE2 docs: "Because occlusion queries are calculated with the depth buffer, occlusion culling will not work with wireframe rendering." So which material do I use to see the occlusion in action then?

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

The only way to see it in action is to fly around the level and "pop" through walls suddenly, as there is a small delay for the results of the occlusion tests. But there's really no tuning or adjustment needed at all.

The stutter you encounter is probably a light's shadowmap being rendered for the first time.

The stutter you encounter is probably a light's shadowmap being rendered for the first time.

That's very interesting. Even when it is set to buffered? Just thinking about future here, would it work if during the load screen a camera is placed in certain points in the level to pre-render the shadow maps?

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)